Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Fudds Tubin' at Starvation 6/25/08
[cool][#0000ff]LloydE has a passion for walleyes. Tried to talk me into hitting Deer Creek. I persuaded him to hit Starvation with me this morning. I think he was glad he changed his mind. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched at Knight Hollow (Saleratus) about 7 AM. Calm and 60 degree air temp. 65 water temp. Gettin' there. Water was at max high water mark. Fullest I have ever seen it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put my first eye in the basket by 7:15. Lloyd was whining. He almost broke down and cried when I got my second one a few minutes later. But, I talked him into a good spot...on the walkie talkie...and told him to QUIT KICKING. He seems to equate speed with success and sometimes less is more. It worked. He got the next two wallies. He was FEELING GOOD.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that it was sporadic but steady. We caught wallies and smallies all morning...in several spots. Lloyd settled on one of my little fire tiger ultra minnow jigs...with a piece of crawler...and stuck with that all day. It got him seven walleyes...his personal high score...EVER. It also got him a few feisty smallies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had a new baitcaster I was trying out, and I was using it to throw some new pale perch color lipless cranks I painted up. The reel worked great and so did the cranks. Got a couple of wallies and several smallies on it. Finally lost it to a HUMONGOUS smallie that grabbed it and streaked into some sunken trees. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, I kept changing around from one thing to another all day and caught fish on just about everything I fished. I think it is presentation and location more than color. I finished up with only 4 walleyes to Lloyds 7. He doesn't know that I released all my others so that he could claim top rod for the day. What a guy I am. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I DID catch the only perch we brought in today. Got it in 15 feet of water right off our park and launch area. Only saw a few perch blips on sonar today and could not get any others to hit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp was up to 73 when we beached about 1. Water was still calm. Only breezed a bit a couple of times today. A bit more ripple on the water probably would have helped. We watched several boats come and go but did not see any of them bring in fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I always enjoy fishing with Lloyd. He DOES love his wallies. After today, maybe we can change his handle to Wal_Lloyd.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice look on that face, got into them in the same spot we did. Right across that open water on the north shore is good to.Last weekend the water was going over the spillway. Looks like its maxed out.
[signature]
That lake does look very full from the pics. Lets see how long it stays that way and how it will help the fish.

One question though, I have nover caught a fish on those 'tiger runner' jig designs. When do the fish actually strike the lure, on the drop, pull, or when the blade spins? Or is it a mix most of the time?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "Roadrunner" style jigs, with a small spinner blade, had been around for many years, and I have been making them and using them myself for at least 20 years. Wouldn't leave home without them.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]If you look at the one picture of the smallie, you will see another style and color of that "pony head" jig it its mouth too. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I caught the walleye, on the "tiger runner", by casting and then slow retrieving along the bottom, occasionally lifting and dropping it. The smallie came on a vertical jigging presentation. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Lots of ways to fish these lures. The additional flash and vibration help trigger a lot of reaction bites when the fish are slow. Great for ice fishing.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I am attaching a couple of my writeups on Roadrunners. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think I just reported this post----sorry, I was just trying to make a reply!!

I had a great fishing experience at Starvation yesterday with TubeDude. The weather was beautiful, the scenery was fantastic, the company was great, and the fishing was terrific. The challenge offered by walleye fishing makes the "catching" so rewarding. Yesterday everything fit into place. I was fishing with a light rod made by TubeDude, with 4 lb line; I was fishing with a small tube created by Pat, and I was trying to apply all of the skills I had picked up from him from our fishing experiences together. It all paid off. Once on a Deer Creek fishing trip with Utwalleye I caught 6 walleye (a limit there), but I thought I would never catch that many on one trip again. Yesterday I caught seven. I have included a few pictures so I can document the seven. However, my new challenge is to beat this record. I know that for the experienced walleye fishermen who might read this post this is no great thing! But to me and some close friends, it means a lot.

Thanks Pat for all of your tutoring. You know I have been a great fan of yours for years. It took a long time for us to get on a fishing trip together, but the wait was worth it.
[signature]
Congrats Lloyd on your fine day of catching.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote LloydE]I think I just reported this post----sorry, I was just trying to make a reply!!

[/quote]

[#008000]No problem LloydE, That has happened a few times with other folks as well. The location of that button has been reported on the Moderator board and with any luck it will be addressed soon.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Back on topic; Great catch - were all of you fish caught on one kind of tube ?[/#008000]
[signature]
I caught some of them on a small tube lure TubeDude created (A red sparkle minnow head with a red sparkle body and a chartreuse tail). I caught others with a Fire Tiger minnow he created from a plunger head jig, I believe. He altered this head and created a lead minnow that is so balanced that it looks like a minnow swimming when it is vertically jigged. He painted the minnow in a Perch pattern with a green back rather than a black one, but added a lot of glitter which is attractive to the walleye. I added about a 1/4" piece of worm to the tube lure, and about 1/2 of a worm on the lead minnow.
[signature]
Wished you could have been with us. We talked about you with great affection.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the kindly words. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we discussed on the way home, I am just as happy to see fishing buddies have a good day as I am catching fish myself. I enjoyed seeing you enjoy yourself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had to chuckle to myself though when you let out that loud whoop when you netted your seventh wallie. I think you scared those guys in the boat nearby...and it may have registered high on the richter scale at the university seismic center.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's okay. When we cease getting excited about fishing, that is when it is time to stop fishing. I think we are both well inside the "excitement quota". That might explain why we are both always early for a fishing meetup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You done good, "Grasshoppah".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
way to go lloyde!!! nice work DUDE! keep at it lloyde your 20 eye day is getting closer. and you just fished a spot it can happen real easy. yuba would be the other just not for 2 moore yrs. lol again nice very nice work. ken
[signature]
Sounds and looks like another fablous day at the lake.
[signature]
[:/]I had to work. Looks like a great time. I bet you needed the old sunscreen out there today.
[signature]