Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview this morning
Fished Pineview this morning with some guys from work. I caught about ten small mouths and the other two guys managed a couple smallies and a nice crappie. All fish were caught on worms again. I did miss two on top water this morning and was really nice because when he went after my buzz bait he was making wake off the shore. I did miss what appeared to be a 4lb large mouth it was a hit and run. Well enjoy the pics.
[signature]
Great photos. Looks like a perfect day to out on the water. This damn job keeps getting in my way. What time did you get off the water?
[signature]
We got off the lake at 11:30 but last time I went out that was when I really started catching fish.
[signature]
My guess would be that being a weekday you probably didn't have to deal with too many of the power squad members either?
[signature]
That's a nice Crappie! I am glad you caught one. To be honest I wish it were me![:/]
[signature]
that was me with the Crappie. I didn't know there were black crappie here. Had I cought another one I would have kept them and had them for dinner. Finally having some luck on Pineview. Heres another pic with a better closer shot.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice one. All the crappies in Utah are of the species "black crappie". The one in the picture is a male in spawning colors. It will turn shiny silver again soon. At least if you release it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We released but after he took a ride in the livewell because I was really wanting to eat him. I did see some little fry right were we caught him at so I figured he was guarding them. Just like the small mouth and large mouth those crappie are very tight up in the cover.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have heard that there are lots of fry in the shallows around the lake. They will be a mix of perch and crappies. Crappie fry have a kind of blue tinge to them at this stage. Crappies do not "guard" their fry. They were most likely eating them. They eat their own young without checking the ID.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bass and catfish guard their nests and protect their fry...for a short time. But, if the kids don't leave home soon they will also get eaten.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That really was a nice crappie...for Utah. We used to catch them up to 20 inches and 4 pounds in some of the lakes in southern Arizona. But, down there they fed all year on tons of threadfin shad.[/#0000ff]

[inline "MEGA CRAPPIE.jpg"]
[signature]