Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying new trolling motor, found one, TR82 from Rick
Wife agree's I need a new trolling motor. I got $500 - $600 bucks to spend on one. What would you buy.... I have a 16ft Nitro (fiberglass bass boat) with 90hp on back.... Does anyone have a good used one for sale??? I am ready to order today if I find a good one.. I am looking at bowmount Minn Kota Edge 70 lb thrust.... Anyone have any luck with this motor...
[signature]
I will post up my opinion and experience for what its worth. I have been using and known of Minn Kota since I was firts on a boat with my parents when I was 10 years old. Never remembered one single trouble we or I had with them, I tell you what. So I tell you what, all I say is Minn Kota.

The Edge model is a good choice, has a base as hard as rock. But it takes up a lot of room in the front. The steer cable is around 6 foot long, so you can't take it to the back if you want. But if none of this concerns you the Edge will probably be the cheapest outfit you will find, as well as being dang strong. Here is the thing though: The Edge models come with a 2 year warranty, and they don't have 'Digital Maximizer' that controls voltage output for longest battery hours. (this has increased my battery hours very significantly, almost double what I had before, I am not joking)

For almost the same money, you can get a Powerdrive V2 model with 70 lbs. thrust. It comes with a 3 year warranty, and you can buy extra 2 years before the first one expires (you can do this with all Minn Kota motors). It has the 'Ditital Maximizer' and it is electric steer with very long cable. So you get two extras plus an additional year of warrantly coverage. Not only that, the mount design is much smaller and lighter, and it is still strong. If I had a 16 foot boat like yours I would buy a Powerdrive V2 model.
[signature]
thanks, i will take that into consideration when I purchase one......
[signature]
BigBassaholic, I have a friend who has a brand new in box (still factory sealed) 82lb thrust MotorGuide Tour Series for sale (model TR82 FB Digital w/ 45" shaft). 650.00 and he lives in the ogden area so it can be picked up with no hassle, search that model for the retail price..... If your interested PM me and I can give you my phone number, if your interested in a MotorGuide and the price is right you shouldnt pass this up.
My opinion on MotorGuide or Minn Kota, I own a Motorguide (TR109) and the friend who has the TR82 available has a Minn Kota on his boat but just bought a MotorGuide TR109 to replace his Minn Kota. Now I know that actually isnt an opinion but you get my point. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Food for thought..Get the most power you can get...
If you need more but don't have it your SOL but if you have it you don't have to use it....And the bigger the motor the longer the batters last per day...
[signature]
Heres some thing else for you. I have a motor guide on my boat and with in three months or having my new boat my I lost my low range 3 speed. Okay no big deal it's under warranty but their are no motor guide repair facilities in Utah so I have to send the dam thing to AZ or Cali to get it repaired out of my own pocket. My buddy has a 109 motor guide and he lost all of his low gears he has to troll around the lakes on plain because he too doesn't want to send it in right now and be out of a trolling motor for a month.
Okay I also have a good friend in AZ that bought a brand new stratos the came with a 70lbs thrust minn kota and with in a month he lost to speeds but minn kota didn't mess around with him they just sent him a new trolling motor instead of giving him the run around.
So they both have there problems but it's all about customer service and motor guide hasn't been very nice to me. If I was a smart man I 'd learn how to repair motor guide trolling motors and become an authorized repair shop and make some money because I'd be the only one in Utah and Idaho to be able to fix them.
[signature]
I'll tell you something else about those MotorGuides. Just go on the internet and lookup customer complaints and problems abou them. Absolutely nothing but headaches. Dang prop imbalance, coils burning up, gears, you name it. That is what you get with MotorGuide foreign made. MinnKota is 100% USA made, I tell you what, it says right there on the metal serial # plate when you open the motor out fromt he box.

I don't know about these gear losses but it happens sometimes. We had an older MinnKota on my parent's boat when I was younger don't know how long they had it but we sent it to be rebuilt by MinnKota and it worked like a champ until they sold the boat. You can't ever wear out those things, and if you do they rebuild them for a small price then it is almost as new.

If you buy one make sure you connect it with a proper ampege manual-reset circuit breaker and you shouldn't have any problems. It will tell you all about that in the manual.
[signature]
This might be the same motor as Grabbass is talking about, but the Utah Bass Federation has a NIB 82lb thrust 24v Motor Guide for $650. They also have a NIB smaller motor for sale, but I can't remember what the thrust was on it. Anyone interested can see the details at [url "http://www.utbfn.net/"]www.utbfn.net[/url]
[signature]
FYI: the second one was a 24v 70lb thrust for $550.00 Both come with Gator Flex mounts and tie down straps.
[signature]
I am bidding online right now on ebay for a motorguide 109 right now. I now have to wait for two more days before I decide on another but I like the 82 lb one also... I have also been looking at the minnkota edge 70lb. Now that I have bidded online I must wait till I lose or ends.... I will keep all the opinions listed below in check... thanks

I am a little worried about motor guide... I have delt with minnkota when I lived in italy and they just sent me a new head instead of repair the old one.... that was great..
[signature]
Lakextackle, we are talking about the same one.
[signature]
I thought it was probably the same motor[s]. It is a good deal about $200 off retail + no shipping or sales tax.

Just watch the Ebay stuff, sometimes you end up getting a good price, but they make their money on the S&H...
[signature]
I called Rick today and told him I will take that TR82, I will pick it up friday morning on my way to Pineview. Thanks everyone.. I hope it is a good motor......
[signature]
Glad to hear it buddy!
[signature]
Good to hear, Rick will shoot you straight!!
[signature]
Do you think it's worth the extra monty to go from the Powerdrive V2 to the Terrova?

I was thinking of buying the Powerdrive V2 at Cabela's today as I have Cabela's points.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]If I were just looking for a bow-mounted, foot-controlled trolling motor that will get the job done with no fancy extras I would not spend more money than the Powerdrive V2. However, if you are considering buying a trolling motor you will need to consider a acouple of things.[/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]The Powerdrive V2 models have levels of thrust up to 70 lbs. So if you need more thrust you will have to look at the Terrova. Also, the Terrova is easier to stow and drop in the water. If you don't need these things though, the Powerdrive V2 is absolutely the best buy. If you decide to buy either one, make sure you remember to purchase the extra 2-year warranty after the original 3 expires. That way you will have no worries for 5 full years. [/#000000][/font]
[signature]
[indent]Thanks for the advice. I think that is what I'm going to go with.
[/indent]
[signature]