Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 pound northern Yuba this weekend
Luck by my definition is: Extreme planning ....well executed!

On the 22 of June I took one of my friends and went to Yuba fishing for northerns. As fate would have it or as luck blessed us, we caught a 38 inch, 15 lb northern. The weight was determined by a IGFA Certified Boca Grip scale. Now there might be some of you that think this is no big deal, but it was a big deal to my friend that caught the Northern and it was a big deal to me.

A review of the Yuba posting showed that for some reason a lot of northerns and some big ones were showing up at Yuba. Fish up to 40 inches were being caught. I decided to rig specifically for them and spend 3 or 4 days after a big one instead of a Flaming Gorge trip that I had in the planning stage.

Friday morning, my brother-in-law and my self hooked on to the trailer and my boat and headed south. I launched the boat from west beach and was ready to fish when he showed up at 11:00am.

We began our pursuit directly east from the beach camping area,trolling close to shore working our way slowly towards painted rocks. Around 2:00 PM my brother-in-law, Glenn had a hit. It was obvious that it was a big fish that took his Rapala and pandamonium broke out in the little boat when the fish finally broke the surface. The northern was at least three feet long and in the 10 to 15 pound class. The first thing I noticed when the big fish came up was that there was no steel leaded attached to the lure. Just as I was about to voice my concern, the line parted and the northern dropped back into 6 feet of muddy water. Glenn was heart sick. I told him that the 15 pounder we caught the Sunday before was caught without a heavy leader but that was sheer luck, Little consolation. We fished until late friday evening with nothing to show for it but a bunch of perch.

Saturday was long hot and mostly uneventful. The reservoir was like a circus on water. Boats everywhere. There was not much chance of catching a fish with those conditions but we were determined to follow our game plan. We finished the day with only perch and 1 little 14 inch northern.

Sunday morning we set off early retracing our steps from friday. I was trolling a perch rapala count down on an outside flat line with a rebel lure in the prop wash. Glenn had 2 rapalas out on the starboard side of the 16 foot smokercraft. We were fishing in tight to the bank approaching the narrows when my outside line went off. The line was 20 lb braid with a 30 lb steel berkley leader.

The big 8.5 ft G Loomis bent in half as the rapala was stopped cold in the water by a fish. The cliker on the daiwa started to sing as the fish ripped line from the reel. I killed the motor and had Glenn clear the other rods to give me room to fight the fish.

Fifteen minutes and many long runs passed before the fish came to the surface 30 yards from the boat. His broad tail splashed with red looked a foot wide. He was the fish I had come after.

Finally he was wallering around near the boat. The net was undersized but I was confident we could get him in the net especially since the lure was deep in the fishes throat. As Glenn started the sweep of the net I lifted the fishes head up slightly and then quickly dropped it. The big northern swam in the net, at least the first 2 1/2 foot of him that would fit and then he was swung into the boat.

The fish was mine. The planning paid off. 40 inches long. Just over 20 pounds on unofficial scales. I put him in the live well and sat there looking at him in awe. The largest freshwater fish I have ever caught except silver and king salmon.

Now another search begins. This one for a taxidermist who will prepare the great fish for his final resting place......on my wall.

[inline "northern steve copy.jpg"]

[inline "sjh 20 lb northern.jpg"]

Tight lines
[signature]
Hey good on ya! Not many a fisherman stick to a game plan.

Thanks for the report, it was a good read on a hot Sunday afternoon.

Did you get any pics of the beast?
[signature]
Got some good pictures, but for some reason I can't post them even after shrinking them, Oh well
[cool]Hey, send TubeDude a p.m. or something. You can e-mail them to him. I wanna see this beast!! Congrats, man!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You had the pics checked "inline". I went ahead and put them in your post for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]NICE, NICE, NICE.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Congratulations, That fish is a Gorilla!
[signature]
Give pikeman a pm his pike is on the wall at sportsmans in provo along with his huge perch. Whoever did his mount did an excellent job.
[signature]
That sure is great. Thanks for the pics and the cool story.
[signature]
Thats awesome - I saw you guys on saturday but was not sure it was you. That is a great fish! I took my youngest and oldest out and they were happy to catch a bunch of perch. They would get one on and 10 more would chase it to the boat. I rigged the little ones rod with dbl jigs and she went nuts catching 2 at a time. When we started looking for the pike the little one did not last long - to slow for her after the perch excitment [Wink]
[signature]
I dont intend to step on any feet, but why kill a fish that many other people can catch to just put it on the wall. Unless your gonna eat it, please consider a replica mount. Just some food for thought.
[signature]

It's his decision to keep the fish. It was his goal to go to Yuba and catch a trophy northern. After planning, numerous trips, and hard work he succeeded. He has the right to put that fish on his wall. A replica would be from the mold of a fish someone else caught and killed.

In addition, the DWR is encouraging harvest of pike and walleye in a effort to prevent or at least delay the boom and bust cycle at Yuba.

Just some food for thought.
[signature]
Thats what makes this country great. We can all have our own opinions.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Replica mounts on northerns do not turn out well. The teeth are never realistic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No problem with the pike population in Yuba. There are plenty more where that one came from and DWR encourages keep and kill.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I delivered the fish to the taxidermist today.

While I was planning this trip I knew with as much certainty as one can have that myself or someone in my boat would catch a true trophy. No if whens or buts. Every condition is ripe for the taking. Consider the following, all of which I was cognative of: The northern population in Yuba is spinning out of control. Every age class from 1 year to 6 years is represented there and the populations are beyond healthy. With enough time and skill anyone with the determination can catch a trophy northern. They are not rare in Yuba.

There is so much food with the perch, walleye, carp and the small trout the DWR feeds the big predators that the northern are growing far bigger than during normal years. Case in point, A six year old northern in a normal situation would be about 40 inches but weigh only 15 lbs. This is not science but a generalization.

With the great abundance of food in Yuba this year a 38 inch northern will weigh 15 lbs and a 40 inch northern will be 20 lbs or slightly over. A 40 incher is a true trophy no matter who you are or where you live and not many men have caught northerns in this proportion. If I told you how many big 40's, 38's and 36 inchers have been caught and killed at Yuba this year (without harm to the fishery), you probably would not believe me. They have and for the short term they will continue to be caught at an incredible rate. A new state record will come from Yuba this year, of this I am positive. When this giant of a fish is caught, the angler will have this quandry to consider, Do I kill the fish to document the catching of it and help the fishery avoid an inevitable crash or do I get all warm and fuzzy feeling by letting it go so it can return to the fishery to die or survive so someone else might catch it?

What to do, What to do, What to do.? Whatever it is, the decision is the anglers alone. The law is uncaring and doesn't side with the killer of immediacy or the catch and release killer. The biologist recommends the fish be harvested (killed) in the hopes of improving the fishery or at least substaining the fishery for another day.

You jerk a northen with a mouth full of treble hooks out of the 68 degree water into the 90 degree air for the 3 to 5 minutes it takes to untangle the hooks from the fish and the net, slam your hand in its gills to gather the required snap shots so you can feel good every time you look at them in the future and you have created a fish that is as dead as a can of spam. I don't care if it does swim away, mr. jonathan greenpeace. Repeat: Dead as a can of spam!

The fuzzy warm crowd is self serving. They want the trophy freed. Why? If life is so precious, then perhaps no fish should be killed or even fished for. The lowest and simplest form of life, except mankind, the earthworm, squirms like hell when it is impaled on a hook to tempt the perch, which is OK to keep since it is low on the warm and fuzzy scale. Fried perch and walleye are a culinary treat of the highest form but stay away from a northen dinner and God forbid you kill a lake trout.

All of this is foolishness and elitist to the highest degree. Do me a favor. Don't lecture me about releasing a fish and I won't tell you what I think about you doing so. Tight lines
[signature]
Impressive. Even the venerable TD couldn't have been more articulate.
[cool][#0000ff]Well stated. I relinquish my self-claimed title of MOST VERBOSE. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What it always boils down to is that we all have the right to make our own choices...but there are always others that want to "guide" our decisions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I learned in business, a long time ago, make decisions based upon your own experience, knowledge and preferred outcome...and then stick with those decisions and be prepared to back them up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are right. There is no potential problem with northern pike suffering population problems due to overharvest by anglers. Their biggest threat is from themselves and the walleyes...eating themselves out of house and home. The faster their population grows, unchecked, the sooner we will be seeing nothing but little "hammer handles"...or no pike at all...or no fish at all.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pike are at the apex of the food chain and they can eat anything else in the lake. Humans are their only predators. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love pike...for catching and for eating. But, I prefer smaller fish. The ones under ten pounds are easier to handle and better eating. Normally, I would not want to keep the bigger ones, but as a contribution to the future ecology of Yuba, I might do so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got my "wall fish" out of Yuba a long time ago. Got a resin cast mount of a 37 incher. Always wished that I had got a skin mount. There is something so primal and scary about that mouth full of teeth that cannot be duplicated by anything but a real mount.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with your trophy. Share a pic with us when you get it back. And, no, we won't contribute to the cost of getting it done. That's on you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The fuzzy warm crowd is self serving. They want the trophy freed. Why? If life is so precious, then perhaps no fish should be killed or even fished for.

what fuzzy crowd would that be? [unimpressed] i have a nasty rep for killing lot's of trophy fish!! and i have never lost a night's sleep over it [cool]..

nice fish btw! i guess i need to go get me one to hang on the wall! [sly]
[signature]
[/quote]
All of this is foolishness and elitist to the highest degree. Do me a favor. Don't lecture me about releasing a fish and I won't tell you what I think about you doing so. Tight lines[/quote]

Whose lecturing, not me, I simply suggested the alternative of a replica mount to wasting food to get a ''warm fuzzy" about having one on the wall. And as earlier stated, it is up to the discretion of the angler if a fish is kept for a trophy or not. I'm am impressed with your fish and think it is an outstanding trophy, I was just expressing my views on the situation.

If my opinion of NOT KEEPING a fish is not warranted, then how is yours on KEEPING fish. My view is this. Kill anything that is legal and you will eat. If not, let 'em swim.
[signature]
Very nice fish. Some day I will get me a toothy critter like that, I just hope I can swing the taxadermy costs.
[signature]