Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spin vs. cast
Ok folks,

I could use an education. I've always been a spin fishing type of guy but now I'm starting to wonder if I've been "in the night" and missing the "boat". What are the pros, cons, advantages, diSadvantages, preferrences, of casting reels and rods vs. spin reels and rods?

First, let's get the criteria straight. I'm talking primarily warm water (bass, wipers, crappies, bluegill, perch, channels, etc.), but primarily bass, shore fishing on moving water and tubing on still water. Using primarily light ( 1/32 oz.-1/16oz., 1/8 oz max.) jigs, etc. No boats!!! I'll stick to fly rods for moving water and trout. I suspect spin is best for lighter weights.

Maybe I should not limit the criteria!! Keep it general!? Please jump in!

[crazy]Leaky
For lures that light, I would go with spinning. Sometimes I try to go light on baitcasting. I do it more for the challenge. It is a real pain in the a##, to cast light lures with casting gear. However, it dosn't sound like your limiting yourself with your tackle, but rather your limiting yourself with your technique. I am assuming you dont throw spinnerbaits, crankbaits, pig n jigs. These are all great ways to catch bass. If you start fishing these types of heavier lures, then casting might be right for you, but if you only fish light lures, stick with spinning.
[signature]
[cool] [#000080][size 2]Leaky, for the last two plus years I have been acquiring more betta' rods and reels. I think I now have about 7 baitcasting setups. A year ago I had two. There is a learning curve in casting B/C's but you don't have line twists(can you say backlash). I use 10 to 14 pound mono or flurocarbon line on my B/C's. I started using B/C's only two years ago and they are a blast. I'll use 4 to 8 on spinning reels. I use spinning gear for grubs, tubes, senkos, inline spinners, and a few others. You ever try throwing jerkbaits at Strawberry for Cutts/Bows-wooee is that fun. I hope this helps [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
If you ask me, I think the difference is more in the type of fishing you wish to do rather than the type of reel. Pitching and flipping with a spinning reel is insane. You usually wind up with a bunch of line falling off the spool and you then have to flip the bail and get it back on the reel when you should be fishing. Bait casters can be a more effective tool for the serious and accomplished fisherman. Imagine a dead calm lake with big fish hanging in shallow water. If you chuck a big old lure out there and land it near the fish with a spin caster, the lure is going to hit the water at full speed and splash like a big dog. Usually that will spook a fish. A skilled angler using a bait caster can thumb the spool and just slide that lure in there nice and easy so the fish dont get spooked.

Bait casters free spool will get you farther casts and of course theres the no line twist, and you get superior drag systems. Theres a lot of advantages, but really, if you dont want to put in the time to go through a learning curve and arent going to do anything different with it than you would with a spinning reel, why bother?
[signature]
I rarely use spinning reels any more. The drags on casting reel make all the difference. I actually prefer to use casting gear. It's more fun, like driving a stick shift. With a Calcutta 50 I can toss a 1/16 oz. jig on 4 pound test. You get absolutely no line twist. Try it, you'll like it. Just my $.02

Good Casting, Kayote
[signature]
Ok guys, I'm starting to get the picture. Given no line twist, better drag, etc., what about being in a float tube? It seems that it would be a lot more difficult to fish a bait cast reel properly (i.e. flipping, sliding, etc.) from a tube. Yes/No?

Leaky
[cool]Hey, Leaky, I'll just jump in here for a few words. I think I have a pretty good idea of your personal fishing preferences and techniques. I'm going to suggest that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I also personally live by the motto "An old dog don't need new tricks." But, I admire your openminded approach, and wish you the best in pursuing bait casting.

I "occasionally" fish from a float tube myself. Like yourself, I prefer light tackle fishing, and I rarely include a baitcasting rig in my rod rack. However, I have at least 8 different baitcast rigs, from light action to heavy flipping. And, depending on what I am targeting, I will sometimes have one or two different BC rigs in my rack. Sitting lower in the water does restrict some styles of fishing a baitcaster, but not basic "chunkin' and windin'"

You have gotten some good input. Stick with spinning gear for presenting light jigs and small spinners, etc. Good line, quality tackle, proper drag settings and knowing enough not to keep cranking the reel when a large fish is taking line...or just sulking...will help keep out the twists and anable you to handle large fish on that tackle. Most of the biggest fish in my angling career have been taken on light spinning gear.

That being said, you should also pay attention to those who tell you that bait casting is the most efficient at fishing larger lures for larger fish. You have better control in casting, and more positive and smoother drag when fighting the bigger fish. For trolling (not from a float tube), the baitcaster is the only way to go...in almost every situation.

I learned how to cast on some of the old model baitcasters. These were affectionately refered to as "knuckle busters". They were single action reels (one to one gear ratio...one turn of the handle for one revolution of the spool). They had none of the modern refinements of levelwind, star drag, magnetic backlash control, etc. Everyone who fished them just counted on spending a lot of time picking out backlashes. And, when a big fish pulled line off the reel, the handles spun backward...knuckle busters. And, the only drag was pressure on the spool from your thumb. Got more than a few blistered thumbs. The mark of a good trip.

Today's technology has resulted in fantastic baitcasters that are as well made as Swiss watches...and some cost as much. But, if you want to enjoy the full benefits of baitcasting gear, with the fewest frustrations, it's best to invest in quality. You can overspend, but you can also pay too little, and it will only leave you with a bad feeling about the gear. Ain't necessary.

Almost anyone can pick up a spinning outfit and be making decent casts within a few minutes. BC gear takes instruction and practice. I suggest you hook up with one of the knowledgeable guys up there who regularly uses this tackle, and has a decent rig to let you practice with. Learn how to set the adjustments, to compensate for different line and lure weights, and how to efficiently load the rod and send the lure on its way without over-revolving the spool and creating a backlash. That will happen, even with everything set right, if you try to snap the cast like you were using spinning tackle. It takes a special feel and different timing to be able to cast smoothly and effieciently.

I will reinforce what others have said. Once you get the hang of it, bait casting is a pleasurable way to fish. It's not unlike fly casting in that just working the rod and making good casts are a big part of the experience. Of course, when a big ol' biggun interrupts your casting practice...well, that's what it's all about.

Any of you guys up for giving Leaky an introduction to bait casting, and maybe have a setup for him to practice on. I wouldn't wish my self-taught experiences on anyone. Besides, in those days they had stone reels and baling twine for line. And, would you believe solid steel casting rods? If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.
[signature]
I'll just jump in here for a few words

Hey Tude - Good input again but I'm glad you're not verbose! Not enough storage memory on the forum!!! LOL

Would you believe, I actually started with an old metal casting rod and reel 60 years ago!!! The rod was the type if you bent it too far it had a permanent bend in it until you bent it back. The reel was a Shackespear, might still have it stashed some where. I do remember becoming very adept to thumbing for control of back lash and distance, probably similar to the one you describe but even older. I imagine the equipment is a world of difference now.

For now, Ill stick to what I have, but when I get a few bucks that is burning a hole in my pocket I might try it. I'll probably get a fish finder first!!!

[crazy][crazy]Leaky