Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swimbaits
As I've been reading and learning about bass fishing in between my fishing trips, I've come across the topic of swimbaits quite a few times.

I read about them and saw pictures and found that many of them are large and require heavy specialty rods to throw them. The other day, I walked down the swimbaits aisle at Dick's Sporting Goods, and I caught a first hand glimpse at how big some of them really are... WOW! 12" lures that weigh 8 ounces... If I didn't know any better, I'd think these were almost too big for muskies. Yet, it seems some of them were designed for bass.

Does anyone have any experience fishing the mid to large size swimbaits? The only swimbaits I've been using are the pre-rigged soft variety that are light enough to throw with normal gear. Do they catch big bass? Is it worth the investment to get a rod/reel specific to this type of fishing?
[signature]
I know they use them in socal for those big bass over 10lbs. Never knew anyone hear in the NE to try them. I did fish a tourny that a fella used a crankbait that was 12" and won the event with it.
[signature]
yeah, it's not a general fish technique - it's more of a lunker technique. I'm not saying you won't catch bass the same size of the lure, 'cause there are some crazy fish out there, but be prepared when you're throwing these baits. you'll want to expect a lot of downtime and very little catching.

it's a great sight-fishing tool, that's for sure. also, if you've located a school of fish it can be great. I like to fish smaller swimbaits and save the bigger ones for once I've located 1 or more exceptionally nice fish.
[signature]
I agree, they do catch lunkers if you can find them. Here is a guy that fished big swimbaits all summer from LakeXtackle. I've thrown them a few times but it can be alot of work.
[inline "big frickin' fish 2 (WinCE).bmp"]
[signature]
If you want to get into some nice swimbaits without having to full re-outfit your arsenal of tackle, there are a couple of options.

1. You can buy the smaller Castaic swimbaits. Some of theirs start out in the 2 to 3 ounce range and then work up to the mighty 8oz Rainbow Trout.

2. Storm Lures makes a selection of swimbaits and even some of the Morphed line of crankbaits with soft tails.

As you heard earlier. "Bigger baits will yield bigger fish". More patience is also required with the bigger baits. The fish will come in a little farther apart as with the smaller baits. The wait is worth it.[cool]
[signature]
I fished some of the 4" swimbaits by Matt's Lures this past Thursday night in a large lake. I caught a 4 lb smallmouth that was slightly over 20" and also a 16" largemouth. Both were caught on the little swimbaits. I think I'll stick with the little ones for now.

I did grab some of the Storm Wild Eye Crappies (3" and 3/4 oz). The lake was too weedy to use them, even after I took the treble off the bottom of the lure. I'm sure they'll work well in the right spot.
[signature]
Those little crappies are fun to fish with. I was using them down in Texas, the only drawback is (unless mine was junk) that you have to use a slow retrieve or it will want to lay on it's side.
I typically use the 4" Storm Kickin Minnows or Castaic baits. They're not huge, hard to cast, and bulky and they catch fish.
[signature]