Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon Coast ?
I'm going on a fam vacation in 2 wks and to oregon by waldport/yachats/newport area. We're doing some rock bottom fishing but i'm wondering about any shore fishing that can be done or rivers. anyone know the area? THe oregon forums are dead so no help there.
thanks riley
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I[/#000000][/font][font "Times New Roman"][#000000][#000000] [/#000000]am going to tell you a secret you will not want to miss.[Wink] Not really, just messin with ya'll. But really, I know a few good shore spots there in the area. I lived there in Creswell, OR for around 6 months and I did some exploring.

First one: please make sure you don't miss some great smallmouth bass fishing on the Umpqua river. It is a little south but just a 2 hour very scenic drive through the small highways there. There are some huge smallmouth in there I tell you what. When you go there look at all the pictures in the local gas stops and shops. 7,8, 9, 10, 11 pounders and more, big smallmouth.

If you go, fish real yearly in the morning or late in the evening with the good old smallmouth stuff like you know. There is lots of shore access on highway 38 and 138 around Elkton. I will tell you my spot though. It is just a few miles south of Elkton on hwy. 138 under the bridge over the river. There is a pull-off on the right (east) side (don't go on the left (west) side, it is Private Property.) There is a trail that goes down to the river and you get to the honey, sweet, wonderful spots. You will see the lunkers swimming in midday. They won't hit a dang thing though in midday. But in the morning and evening you can kill them with big bass worms in dark green and black colors.

Also, lots of shore access on the Siouslaw river. There are many good quickly accessed deep pooles that hold fish. Check with the regs though. This year there are alot of closures, I have no idea what is happening up there.

Okay one more. I don't know which routes you are planning on when you drive there but but if you take I-84 stop by and check out the Deschutes River. It is some miles east of The Dalles, there by Briggs. There is a Pilot Fuel stop and the road behind it heads west, parallel to I-84. You will get to the Deschutes River Park and bridge. Lots of places to park. You can cast down from the bridge. You can catch Steelhead all year in that spot. Up to 18 pounds is what I have seen taken out of there. Just off the bridge[shocked]! They use flashy beads and hairs to tie on the hooks and just cast, drift, retrieve, and cast down again. It is a convinient spot. Right next to the freeway. You can easily spend a few hours trying, you never know you might get one.

And one more thing, you should stop by the Bonnevile Fish Hatchery by Bonnevile Dam on I-84. It is a free tour and you can see huge 12-14 foot sturgeon swimming in the big tanks. As well as salmon smolts, adults, jacks, and big rainbows and cutts. Great little tour.

Have fun.[Smile]
[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
The Umpqua river is great fishing, but no 9, 10's or 11 lb smallies (check the state records) all down that river + an Elk viewing place just west of Elkton and smallies all along the river (I have some property just west of the Elk viewing place on the same side good luck...
[signature]
Bottom fishing, or rock fishing, is excellent. We've averaged 2 legal Ling Cod per trip, along with the 6 rockies per angler. Most have been either Blacks or Blues. A lot of Vermillions, China, Quillies and Coppers in the mix, too, though. And of course the occasional Mother In Law fish(Cabazon). Mostly just 4 OZ twist tail jigs, although mooching herring on bottom will put you into a lot of Ling and the occassional inshore Halibut. Bigger jigs, bigger fish. Try not to jig too much, as is the standard with most people. Keep your rod tip pointed towards the water, still in your hands, with the jig within 2' of bottom. The waves create enough motion. It'll set you into a lot of Ling, too.

You're hitting the wrong part of the coast unfortunately, though. The reefs out of Newport/Walport have been over fished by the charter fleets and commercial fisheries for quite a while. I'm farther south outta Bandon. Much less fished. The best charter bar none out of Depoe/Newport/Waldport is the Newport Charter company. Used to be located around the Embarcadero Resort, to the east of the Old Bay Front. Most of the rest will take you out, get your smaller blacks, and right back in. All within an hour. Not too enjoyable for the $60 you gotta shell out.

Yaquina Head, by the light house, can be killer for Blacks and Lings. I tend to prefer either sand shrimp, squid, or octopus for bait. Pretty standard riging. I like a minimum of 2 oz. leads for the surf and shore fishing. The jettys should produce, although they tend to be slower, and a lot more hit and miss. Fish the incoming tides. Also, depending on where your staying in Newport, the Embarcadero marina and private crabbing dock offers wonderful fishing for all the bottom fish. I've caught legal Ling, Cabbies, Kelpies, and more blacks, blues, and coppers than you could shake a rod at. Tremendous fun for sure.

So far as rivers, I'd recomend the Six's outta them all. Can't go wrong with the Nestuca and Three Rivers farther north by Pacific City are decent fishing, too. Just be sure and check all the regs before you go out.

I'm down here for the year helping out with my friends boat. As you get closer, if you'd like, I'd be happy to give you more information.
[signature]
Try this forum out - [url "http://www.ifish.net/board/index.php"]http://www.ifish.net/board/index.php[/url]
[signature]