Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Fish Finders
So I am looking to upgrade from my Eagle Fishmark 320. Love this finder and will keep it for ice fishing, but I need something to find deeper fish at the Gorge, Fish Lake, etc. I would like to stay with a lowrance Unit since that is what I am used to running, unless someone can convince me that something else is that much better, i.e. Hummingbird? I am looking to spend a maximum of 600 dollars. I need advice on the most powerful unit in your guys opinion for the money. And, is a color unit worth getting? Any info from you mack fisherman on what works for you would be much appreciated.
[signature]
Lowrance X137 or 510C. 137 has more watts, 510 is color. I prefer the 510. Hummingbird 787 is a good one too.
Check BFT Archives and Help for some good info.
Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks 8incher, I will look into those two. [Wink]
[signature]
[#008000]Color is a very good option. I have both and I prefer color because of the detail. If you can afford color, than I would say it is an option that is worth the cost.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]I have a color Lowrance and a BW Humminbird. Both cost about the same and if it were not for the color of the Lowrance, I don't think I would have a preference. They both have different features, but both are have been quality units.[/#008000]
[signature]
First and foremost, peek to peek watts is, IMHO, far more important than purtty colors while hunting Mack in depth. After all, those colors on the screen wont tell you whether its a bow or mack snaking off the bottom. So,, IMHO,, spend for watts and as many pixels as you can afford, not purtty colors.
[signature]
I agree with you completely on watts. That's whats wrong with the finder I have now. Its great for fishing up to maybe 40 to 50 feet, but when I fish the gorge I am usually at twice that depth and have a hard time seeing my jig and distinguishing fish from the bottom. I was thinking 4000 watts would be plenty. How many watts do you think is enough? I have been looking at the Lowrance X515c. It has 4,000 watts and its color. Best of both worlds. Do you have any advice on a finder of this calibur? Does anyone have the X515c, what are your opinions?
[signature]