Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
I here the ice is off but is anybody catching anything?

Badger
[signature]
I havn't been yet, but I've heard not very many people are fishing strawberry right now. I wonder why? after Ice off is supposed to be a great time to fish Strawberry-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
[reply]
I havn't been yet, but I've heard not very many people are fishing strawberry right now. I wonder why? after Ice off is supposed to be a great time to fish Strawberry-TIBBZZ- [/reply]

[font "Garamond"][size 3]Gee I wonder if the slot limit has anything to do with that? [/size][/font]

[font "Garamond"][size 3](If not that then maybe the weather as of late has something to do with it.)[/size][/font]
[signature]

[signature]
I think you may be right huntN4bass!! [Wink]-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
Ok guys ya want a Berry report I have one. Went Tuesday afternoon no ice but it's a bit muddy. Usual for this timeof year. The slot limit is keeping a whole lot of floks off the water so far (YES!!!). I ran into 2 other anglers, both regulars and neither complaining about the slot limit. Fishing was a bit slow I only caught 2 in 2 hours, both on nightcrawlers rigged to float about 18 inches off the bottom. Next to no bugs in the air so my guess is the hatch is still a few days maybe a week away. I also didn't see any minnows swimming in next to shore as yet. As you all know the weather wasn't the greatest Tue. but I have seen it much worse. The fish were within the slot sizing (both were around 22 inches) and fiesty but they were cutts. So they are back eating those chubs I hope. Now I am still hunting that 15 pound Bow I know is there and waiting for me. I will post more regularly on the Berry as there seems to be some intrest now. Will be going next week in the afternoons if any one is interested. I have to job hunt during the earlier hours. Sheeesh coming out of retirement sucks!!
[signature]
When I went to Strawberry I only seen a few minnows along the shore . Went to Soldier Creek that was different story . Seen lots of minnows hugging the shore line . Figured out I needed to cast parallel to shore and nail 3 cutts . Only cast off shore about 10' was good . I think you need to sneak up on them when you see minnows on shore . Tight lines
[signature]
I agree HA69 ya got to sneak up on them buggers. This time of year they are all in close. Where i go doesn't get a lot of sun just yet. It's going to warm up in the next few days. If I don't start work tomorrow I will get back up there and see what I can do <grins>. Have the bait casting net sitting on the dresser waiting for the next trip. Then it will not leave the truck til they leave again this winter.

road
[signature]
Give the fish a year or two and everybody and their dog will be all over that lake. If I was up there I'd be out fishing while it's still calm and you can catch fish. It's like the 2 slot lakes down here nobody but locals fishing for the first 3 years and now you can't find a spot to fish with the locals.

Heck it's only one type of fish in a huge lake so what's the whinning about.
[signature]
can i make a suggestion get some slug-go's and next time you see those minnows parallel cast it to the bank short twitch and reel retrieve watch for the fish to pick it up on the slack i used them a scofield last year when the cutts were chasing minnows along the bank and could'nt keep them off good luck

aquaman
[signature]
[reply]
Give the fish a year or two and everybody and their dog will be all over that lake. If I was up there I'd be out fishing while it's still calm and you can catch fish. It's like the 2 slot lakes down here nobody but locals fishing for the first 3 years and now you can't find a spot to fish with the locals.

Heck it's only one type of fish in a huge lake so what's the whinning about. [/reply]

[font "Garamond"][size 3]Hmmm, not sure who you are referring to. Whining? Since you replied to my post I just wanna let you know that I'm not whining. The slot referrence was just a theory and maybe it'll turn out to be true. I will agree with you on one point. If I was primarily a trout fisherman I would be up there a lot, especially if there is less pressure. As big as that lake is putting in or trailering a boat can be a joke over there. Over the years I have released WAY more fish (cutts) then I have kept so the slot limit doesn't really bother me at all. (It is also extremely helpful if one is not a treble-hook fisherman to be able to release fish, and by that I don't mean spinners or jerkbaits.) [Smile] Based on personal observation it sure did seem like people were keeping much more than their 4 fish limit. [/size][/font]

[font "Garamond"][size 3]I have much preferred keeping 'bows over cutts. Who knows maybe they'll keep some sort of slot limit at Strawberry for cutts in effect permanently, or at least for more than a few years. Would that be a bad thing? [/size][/font]
[signature]
People who bait fish will be cuting hooks and probable not like fishing there anymore but look on the bright side. Slot limits produce fish around the 20-22 inch mark and every once in a while you'll catch a 22+ plus fish. I wouldn't mind seeing a slot limit on most lakes even if it was just for one type of fish.

The DWR is paying people to walk the shores and remind people of the slot limit so if people are taking more fish they'll get caught. Most people don't mind the change it's the ones that aren't willing to change end up whinning.
[signature]