Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Bone fish
I am going to have a hard time handing this rod off to someone else. It is the CARPANATOR!
I hit the river again to day and with that fighting butt, it is nice landing these monsters out of thick grass.
While I lost several, I landed a bunch.
Here are some of todays beauties:

[Image: IMGP3496400.jpg]

[Image: IMGP3488400.jpg]

[Image: IMGP3487400.jpg]

[Image: IMGP3482400.jpg]

The fly of choice today...RAINY's POPCORN BALL

[Image: CarpFlies2450.jpg]
[signature]
I have really been wanting to get out and give them a try, but am not quite sure how to fish them. Are you bouncing a fly along the bottom of deep holes? Do you strip it, swing it or otherwise move the fly? Do the fish hold in areas of current or in slow pools? Are the takes soft or hard? Is there a time of day that is better than another? Any info to get me pointed in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Great questions as I am just getting the hang of it.

With the CARP HEX:

[Image: CarpFlies6450.jpg]

I started using it because of all the Dragon Flies flying around.
The section I fish, the water is hardly moving and there is allot of weeds and brnches in the water so it is a challenge.
The fly is weighted with the lead eyes, so I cast out to the cloudy water (meaning the carp are there and rolling around). I let it sink for a minute then slow steady strip. You will feel them hit, but it takes time to learn when to really set the hook. I lost allot at first.
Also, no less then 10lb tippet.
Today I switched to the popcorn ball. It is a slow sinker so I could see it and I could see the hits....AWESOME.

[Image: CarpFlies2450.jpg]

All is done with a floating line...9' leader (although I am using a 5 1/2' furled and a 2 1/2' tippet, which I don't think matters one way or the other).
Let fly sink and slow steady strip.
The occassional BASS FISHERMAN hook set is not unheard of in this case.[laugh]
[signature]
Sight fishing! It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for the info. I'll have to break out the 7-wt and make an early morning run sometime in the next few days.
[signature]
YUK! I hate carp, how do you do it?[Wink]
[signature]

Clothes pin on the nose, tie fly on, fling it out, long handle net.
Rubber gloves...allot of disinfectant....GOOD TO GO![laugh]
[signature]
LMAO! Good one Joni.[sly]
[signature]
Nice Miss Joni,
Was that at 10th and 10th by any chance? I ordered a bunch of carp flies from Yager Flies
and they told me someone beat me to all their Rainy's corn balls. Was that you??

keepa doin it
pa
[signature]
Close Pa...real close.
I didn't buy any popcorn balls. I had one in the Carp Fly Collection I won at the FLY TYING EXPO. Been using it and luckly haven't lost it yet, but I will tie my own. Easy enough. I have tied up the Carp Hex.
[signature]