Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prowler: The Maiden Voyage. Report and (some) pix
Well,

I finally got the prowler out on the water. My nephew and I went up north to do some ATV'ing and Float tubing. The owner of the lodge says the fishing had slowed down the recent week, and we had a nasty front move through the night before. I'm getting a little worried...

The first lake we visited is about 10km into the bush, a nice ride actually. We loaded up my Rhino, and set off. About 25 minutes from the lodge, we arrive and unpack.

[Image: PictureJune2008085.jpg]

I fianlly get my waders on and im sure I looked like a dyslexic porpose trying to get this boat away from shore...

[Image: PictureJune2008086.jpg]

My nephew gets around pretty good on his donut, too.
[Image: PictureJune2008088.jpg]

It took me a little while to learn how to manuver, and the fishing was slow, so I just took a few pictures. Here is a shot of my 24.99 Bass pro kickers:
[Image: PictureJune2008089.jpg]

And just a shot of the lake:
[Image: PictureJune2008090.jpg]

I wish I had taken more pics, but we had to really work to get some fish...finally, a little one.. then a bigger one...then? What is that? Thats not a bass? To my suprise we nailed a few pan size specs!
[Image: PictureJune2008092.jpg]

My nephew is the speck-master (we taught him too well)
[Image: PictureJune2008094.jpg]

All in all, we caught 5 bass and 3 specks. The one i'm holding is the largest.

After talking to the lodge owner (he just purchased the lodge) he says there is another lake further into the bush that the locals fish. The locals have boats on the lake we can use, so we went there without the tubes. I managed to get 1 good size smallie, and my nephew got one abit smaller.
[Image: PictureJune2008101.jpg]

Yep. thank god for Mr. Rapala for inventing the husky Jerk. He smashed it like it was his last meal...Fun Stuff.

As far as the prowler goes here is what I found.

1. We spent about 5 hours fishing, it was very comfortable.
2. Very Stable. Did not feel tipsy at all.
3. I was able to get around very well, when the wind was calm. I have no other float tube to compare it to.
4. Lots of room for goodies.
5. The only thing I did not like, was that I seemed to "fall forward" in the seat. After 30 minutes or so, I would need to hoist myslef back up. Maybe I did not pump it up enough as I was worried about popping air bladders
6. After a few hours it seems that the air went down a little. I dont know if it was the water temp, or maybe its loosing a little air.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report on the maiden voyage and nice pics. At least you got to properly initiate your new toy with some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not having previous tubing experience, with other craft, it would be difficult to make proper comparisons. But, as you experiment with different options (inflation levels, etc.) you will get a better feel for how your craft operates under different conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you slip forward, I suspect that you DO need a bit more air in the bottom seat. I have found that blowing up the seat with lung power alone, it is impossible to overinflate it and it should be just about right in firmness. But, if you are on cool water lakes, it might need a bit more air after a while to firm it back up. Same for the main bladder. If you still seem to be losing air after a "top off", then you can look for a leaky valve or a pinhole leak. Spiny fish (like smallmouth) can poke holes in your air bladders with fins. That is why it is a good idea to have a good net and to control your fish so that they do not "spine" your tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure I would have driven 10 km back into a remote lake before giving my new craft a checkout ride. Much better to launch on a convenient water closeby and work through the process of setting up and getting familiar with paddling, turning and all that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, now you are more prepared than before. Go get 'em.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great time! Nice pictures! I went out 6 times on my H3 before I finally landed my first bass. Now I'm starting to catch them almost every trip.

That Prowler is one nice looking tube! I actually consider the larger "tubes" like the Prowler and H3 to be more of a mini-pontoon than a float tube but since they're sold and called float tubes, so be it:o)

I haven't suffered the "falling forward" thing once on my H3 but I am short (5'5") and sit back pretty well in the seat with only my legs from the knee down in the water. I do have my seat inflated pretty firm and I think that helps too.
[signature]
We don't slide forward either on the H3.
Like I have always said, and TD even said it in the Wader post..."You Get What You Pay For". ANd to add to that, there is a reason they are more money.

PONTOON is two separate tubes, that is why no matter how big (my Navigator 9') and the fact there is no frame....TUBE.

I have an Echo which is two 4' pontoons and a frame....that is a PONTOON.

I do call the bigger ones PONTUBES.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Flygoddess: I LIKE it! Pontube it is:o)
[signature]