Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Lake/ Uinta report 7/11
We headed up to Washington Lake thursday evening. The 30 degree cooler temperatures alone made the trip worth it. We arrived and launched the canoe into the water before setting up camp. Fish were jumping everywhere, however we had trouble getting any of them interested. We eventually caught two rainbows with a silver jakes spinner before it got too dark. There were several people in tubes flyfishing, but they weren't having any success getting the fish to take anything they threw at them.
Woke up early the next day and headed out on the water again. Once again fish jumping everywhere but no success. Then we headed to a couple small streams in the area. Made a killing and caught many small brookies and rainbows. Most successful were Adams dry flies, wooly buggers, and small panther martin spinners. At 1:00 pm we headed back out on the water at Washington Lake. The panther martins proved to be the hero of the day. We caught about 16 fish. 12 Rainbows ( all about 8-12"), 3 Tiger Trout (5 to 9"), and one 4 inch brookie. We poked around in different parts of the lake but by far the most success was found in the northwest sector of the lake. It seems to be much deeper there. The rainbows were all caught about 30 to 100 yards from shore. The Tigers and the brookie were all caught within 30 yards of shore. We talked to some people in toons flyfishing and they said they had moderate success (4 rainbows and 3 tigers) using leeches or wooly buggers. They also had most success on the North or West parts of the lake.
As predicted at this time of year, the Mosquitos are going full bore. They were as bad as I have ever seen.
[signature]
Great report - were there lots of people there?
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, sounds like you did good even thought the catching started out slow. I've never fished that lake, is it a long way from a paved road or from a town? WH2
[signature]
Awesome report. I took my nephew to Lost and Butterfly Lakes last night, and he caught his 2nd fish since he started fishing last year at Lost Lake. We headed over to Butterfly Lake, but no luck. A lot of people were scratching their heads.

We tried everything from Rooster Tails to worms to just about anything in the tackle box. Nothing outside of the Rainbow he caught.

On top of that we were getting POUNDED by mosquitoes. They were TERRIBLE. And like an idiot I forgot the bug spray. Not smart, I know.

Anyway, we still had a good time. I'm heading back up on Monday.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
There were about 4 campsites left open when we arrived on thursday. There were maybe four or five watercraft of various shapes and sizes on the lake at any given time. We saw no more than 10 people fishing from shore at once. When we drove by mirror lake it was much busier. By friday afternoon the angler's parking lot there was almost full. The Trial lake angler's parking only had less than 10 cars friday afternoon.
Washington lake is just of Highway 150. It was about 25 minutes or so outside of Kamas. It took us about 1hr 30 min to get there from Farmington.
[signature]