Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teton Creek, Idaho
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Back in 2004 I had the opportunity to fish the Teton Creek out of Driggs, Idaho. While wading this body of water I was interrupted by a water tanker that stopped and drop a siphon hose 20' from where I was fishing and proceeded to fill this truck. I mean there were a lot of cutthroat fry that must have been sucked up along with the water. Since the fishing was ruined I headed back to the house where I was staying for a week. I stopped by a fly shop in Driggs to report this activity. The owner said that siphoning water from Teton Creek was illegal and that he would report it to the proper authorities. Well apparently this problem is still going on. I plan on making a contribution to help fight & restore Teton Creek.[/size][/#008000][/font]
Yellowstone cutthroat trout are the native gems of the Greater Yellowstone aquatic ecosystem. Historically, they have flourished in southeastern Idaho’s Teton River, making spawning runs up into the mountain tributaries of the Teton Range.
[Image: teton.jpg]The Problem
[left]Teton Creek, a valuable Yellowstone cutthroat trout spawning tributary, has seen precipitous declines in the Yellowstone cutthroat population. Between 1999 and 2003, their numbers declined by 95%, while non-native species increased by 300%. Numerous stressors have contributed to the diminishing populations of this “species of greatest concern” for the Snake River region. Teton Creek has been heavily degraded by illegal in-stream dredging and channelization by developers, stream dewatering for agricultural use, and destruction of riparian vegetation. More than one mile of Teton Creek has been completely altered from its natural state, with high velocities, no holding water, and no spawning grounds. This unstable stream section threatens the viability of one of the last remaining fluvial populations of Yellowstone cutthroat trout in the Teton basin.
Partnering for a Solution
The Teton Creek Restoration Project is a collaborative effort with Friends of the Teton River, landowners and local, state, and federal stakeholders on Teton Creek aimed at turning Teton Creek back into a productive spawning ground and migratory route for Yellowstone cutthroat trout. The goal is to rebuild stream banks and riparian zones, stabilize the stream channel, improve stream flows and create vital trout habitats.
[signature]