Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying the Little Guy
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Aaron Jasper ties the "Little Guy", a sow bug pattern. [/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcJBldA5JE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcJBldA5JE[/url]
[signature]
That is a nice pattern. I noticed that the guy uses the exact same whip finisher that I use for all my saltwater flies.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Found it interesting that he used a piece of Velcro to get the dubbing to stand up.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
When I first got into tying flies I tried a piece of velcro for picking out the dubbing but it did not work well. I decided that it needed to be a smaller piece of velco and should be on something stiff so I glued some onto a wood dowel knowing that would be the ticket. But it was not.

I have not tried velcro since. Often I have thought maybe a popsicle stick width would be a good width.

Come to think of it I ate part of a popsicle last week. Wish I had though about the velcro then. Missed opportunity.
[signature]
I glued a piece of Velcro to the handle of a plastic spoon. That is my choice now and still. Works like a charm if you remember, less is more when using dubbing.
[signature]
Less is more is something I was told from the beginning. But it took me quite a while to get the hang of what less actually was. What I kept thinking was less kept turning out to be more.

"A whisp of dubbing" is the more appropriate phrase when dealing with size 18 and smaller flies.

I still find it amazing that just the littlest of dubbing that you put on the thread such that it really does not hide the thread will cover the thread when you have it wrapped on the hook.

I like the spoon idea. It is something I could kick myself for not thinking of it already. But this morning I ate a popsicle so I am going to use that stick since it is a "bird in hand"

Now, I ask myself. "Self, what is going to work better? Regular velcro, or that Heavy Duty Industrial velcro you have?
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I stuck the back side of the male & female parts of the Velcro together. ie the sticky sides. Found that the regular home use Velcro was adequate. Yes less with dubbing is the way to go but it is as you said hard to determine what less looks like. I did cut the dubbing into smaller pieces prier to placing it on the thread. Seems like ever day that I learn something new.[Image: bobwink.gif] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
With the newer types of Velcro these days, you have the fine, course and OUCH!

The fine works better.

They have sure some a long way with yarn too. I am using more types of yarn than dubbing. The yarn frays and pulls will with the fine Velcro.[cool]
[signature]