Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A report i will never forget.
My wife asked me to get my son out of the house for a while this evening so i planned on going to pineview for a few hours. After i opened the garage and started towards the musky tackle, i decided i would much rather grab the fly rods and vest right by the door and take him up on the weber.
We got to Mt. Green at about 6 pm and walked down to the river. There was already someone there so we just sat in the shade and rigged our rods. His first.[Wink]
I tied on an obsolete looking winged fly and asked the guy that was already there if he minded if Gage fished upstream from him. He said no, he is more than welcome. I thanked him and walked Gage over to the water. I told him where to try and cast to and backed up 20'. He began casting like a 5 year old pro. I can't believe his abilities at 5 years old! He kept casting away while i rigged my rod with tandem nymphs. The other guy walked farther down the hole so i jumped in just up from Gage. I casted 30 or 40 times and then had a hit. Set the hook into a good fish and handed the rod to Gage. He fought it best he could for a few seconds but forgot to give the fish some slack when he ran. Fish got off but he went right back to his rod. We fished for another 1/2 hour with a few slap and tickles but no fish.
I found myself trying to get a snag un-done and Gage started hollering that he caught a fish! Sure enough, i looked over to see a cutt thrashing around 10' downstream from him! He was giggling and shouting like crazy! I dropped my rod and ran over to him to help. He landed the fish and was extatic!(SP) I took some pics with my phone and let him release it . It was tiny, but that is his first unsupervised cast and land fish on a fly rod! I am the happiest father in the world right now. The other guy watched the whole thing and couldn't believe his eyes. Neither of us had landed a fish and a 5 year old catches one. Go figure. He is well on his way to greatness in the fishing world. I have to call T-Mobile to figure out the pic transfer thing but i will pst the pics when i get them.[Smile]
[signature]
What an awesome story! Congratulations to him!
[signature]
Great story, I have a 5 year old that just loves fly fishing as well. It's great to get them hooked (no pun intended) when there young. thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Sometimes I think we get too technical. That is why the newbies that don't have a clue can usually score.
Hard to remember to simplify at times.
Great Job! Sure you won't have a problem getting him to try FF again since he out did POP.
[signature]
Awesome! Tell Gage congrats for me! [cool]
[signature]
Congratulations to Gage! 5 is a great age to start flyfishing. they aren't intimidated by it and just do it. I'll bring those waders up for him next month.
[signature]
Way to go Gage!! I guess there is someone out there that can out fish your Dad. [Smile]

Humpy
[signature]
Thanks for posting that story. I guess they're never too young to start. I didn't try fly fishing until I was 14 and thought I ought to give my kids until at leat 10 or 12. Maybe I need to start taking them along. Great post.
[signature]