Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
? for all you wicked Bass eaters
So I know that both small mouth and Large Mouth are all members of the sun fish family, so I am wondering do they taste as good as bluegill? I have never eaten either and would like to try it some day.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Another subjective question. How high is up? Everybody is going to have their own opinion and some of them are right...to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bluegills are GENERALLY good eating...firm white flesh...mild flavored. Same for smallmouth and largemouth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, I have eaten all three in different areas, from different waters at different times of the year that were almost inedible. Tasted like black swampwater.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The taste and texture of virtually all species are affected by many things...diet, water chemistry, water temperature, spawning, activity levels, etc. For the most part, fish from clear, clean, cool water...over a clean gravel or rocky bottom...will be the best eating. Fish from stagnant, warm, murky, weed-infested water with a mud bottom can pick up some "musty" taste that don't enhance their table qualities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Smallmouth bass tend to live in cleaner waters and feed largely on live crawdads and minnows over rocky or gravel bottom. They also prefer cooler water than largemouth. Largies often live in shallow warm water over mud bottom and sometimes get pretty rank smelling and tasting. But, when they have the right environment, they are as good if not better than smallies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bluegills are almost always found in cleaner waters and live on a wide variety of invertebrates and fry. Only in stagnant ponds will they develop poor quality flesh. Otherwise, they are usually top quality, if you can find them large enough to fillet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's my opinion. Not worth much.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
in my book bass all bass are better eating then any stinking trout!

but nether are as good as catfish walleye or perch!
[signature]
Of course, TD said it all and I totally agree. For me, Lm are the best if they are from the cool clean waters of ut. and Id. The only fish to beat em are Walleys and Channels, just my opinion. Not to say the sun fish family - blues, crappie, etc. aren't good because they are along with perch which is even better then the sun fish. Trout are way down in the middle with carp beating them out. [shocked] Yep, you heard me!!! Carp from good,clean, fresh water is goooood. Don't knock it until ya got the guts to put your mouth where your stomach is and open your mind to established prejudices. [Smile] Just my opinion again. That's why I keep LM for dinner. Have at me guys and gals. Taste is personal and in many ways like religion.
Leaky and the Sparkinator
[signature]
[quote Leaky33]Trout are way down in the middle with carp beating them out. [shocked] Yep, you heard me!!! Carp from good,clean, fresh water is goooood.[/quote]

I have NEVER been that hungry in my life. I would rather eat a seagull that I ran over with my truck that was feeding on skunk road-kill.

Now your just talkin' crazy talk. A nice Rainbow fillet from the Berry or Scofield is not much different than Salmon. It might as well be candy. Smoked...even better.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info, that is kinda what I expected to hear. I am going to have to admit publicly that I like the Perch, Walleye, Channels and Wiper all better than trout. Now I have had some good trout it just has been a very long time, you just have to get the hell away form the planters that are awful. But give me a good ol cookie cutter kitty form the bay any day of the week.

Majja
[signature]
I used to like trout a lot. Still good, but wouldn't be my first choice if I had anything else available. The bass I caught at East Canyon in May (You'd have to ask Bassrods if it was LM or SM...they were just green fish, to me), were alright. But then Old_Coot was generous and gave me one of his Walleye from Willard...now that's some good stuff! I am now obsessed with trying to learn to catch Walleye... thanks a lot, Ralph! [:p] LOL
Catfish is good too. I want to try Carp, just because I've heard so many mixed opinions about it...wanna get my own.
[signature]
lol my gradpa was one of the best trout fishermen i have ever seen even to this day.. he could get a brown trout to come out of the water for his fly with out it even hitting the water..

but he would only eat carp! yuck gag choke puke [sly].. he said it's the best tasting fish there is!

i like others here have said i have never been that hungry so i can't realy say if it's good or not..
[signature]
carp from clean cool rivers, ie Onieda Narrows in ID, are actually good if you catch one during the winter or the early spring. once the water temp in the river hits 68 or he weeds start growing (pretty much happen hand in hand) the carp start to devolop that mud vien and taste like a$$. they have firm, white, fleshy meat in the spring and winter, and mushy soft meat in late spring through the fall. off topic i know.

maybe i dident catch it TD, i have been busy, but another factor to consider is pollutant level of a lake can have effects on overall meat quality and taste.

edit: you said lake chemistry
[signature]
Kokanee off of the BBQ is the best fish hands down. I do like bass alot I would compare them to a blue gill I think crappie are better in my opinion then bass but not a whole bunch, The one thing TD left out that is very important to remember is how you take care of your fish after the catch the faster you have them cleaned and on ice the better- no matter what fish you have in the boat, I even bleed my Koke's and trout before they go on the ice this greatly improves the taste try it next time you will be impressed how much it helps
Don J.
[signature]
My two bits. Trout are ok but I eat ten panfish (mostly bass and bluegill) to one trout because they taste so much better. My wife and kids all eat the pan fish too and actually say it's good.
[signature]
I have heard that on some of the commercial fish sticks that just list the fish as Whit fish is actually carp. I don't know how true that is but that is what I have heard.
[signature]