Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
south marina being closed!!!
Looks like the long awaited dredging of the South marina at willard is going to happen.

[url "http://www.sltrib.com/2003/May/05082003/Utah/54889.asp"]http://www.sltrib.com/2003/May/05082003/Utah/54889.asp[/url]
[signature]
What this fail to say,how deep will they dredge it to? What is the current depth in the South marina? Will all that mud being disturbed affect the fish nearby?
[signature]
I heard the reason for the dredging was to draw more water from Willard. The deeper the channel the more they can take out, when they are done with the dredging and the runoff is over. They will be taking 6 ft of water out of Willard, the lake will be lower than ever before. I don't think this will be a good thing but we will find out by the end of the summer depending on how much rain or snow we get between now and then. WH2
[signature]
Depth at the marina was an average of 6 feet when I was out there day before yesterday.
[signature]
Geez, this is bullcrap! Wiperhunter says they plan to take out six feet of water from willard and Teroy says it is currently 6 feet deep. So when all is said and done, we would have 0 depth!!! Perhaps my math is wrong?!
[signature]
I think the dredging will make it 12 feet, then in the later summer months when they draw out more water the marina will return back to 6 feet. Could be wrong, I'm no expert lol

How do they dredge something anyway, I've never seen it done before
[signature]
EEither from shore or a bardge teroy. It is usually done with a drag line attached to a large bucket. All is attached to a crane like piece of equipment. The buckey it swung out over the area to be dredged lowered into the water then dragged across the bottom. Raise back up and swung back to the bank, or another bardge, and emptied and then repeted. Smelly job it is. Hopes this gives you an image of what will be done.
[signature]
Road is right, last Friday they were dredging from shore with a big backhoe but there is a boat dredging machine at the end of the channel. I think you are right Teroy, I have not heard this for sure but I think they will dredge the channel as deep as they can. They might get it another 6 feet deep at least in the middle. WH2
[signature]
They have been dredging the upper end of the channel all spring. Its an interesting thought to think of how the dredging effected the walleye spawn that takes place up there. The early dredging would have created deep pockets and may have removed gravel beds that have been there for a long time. Later dregings may have caused water quality problems that prevented the fish from wanting to move up into the current and find areas of slack water. More fish may have spawned out in the main body along the rocks than usual. Who knows, maybee it helped, maybee it hurt, but with the shad spawn fast approaching, it will be interesting to see if shad populations suffer due to the activity and dredging of the marina and channel. Water districts dont always time thier activities with the fishes best interest. Something to think about.
[signature]