Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Newbie seeking advise
I'm planning on spending the weekend of Aug. 2 in Provo fishing .

I've never tried fly fishing before and am curious. Any recommendations on fly fishing schools or guides? I understand it may be difficult for a complete novice to catch fish with a fly. Should I not even try other types of fishing?

Thanks in advance for your advise...
[signature]
I am not sure what you mean by "in Provo fishing", but for sake of discussion I will assume you mean fishing on the Provo river.

First of all, I would say that if you can afford a good guide for a day plus fish the whole weekend, then a novice has a good chance of catching a fish with a fly. Just make sure the guide knows you are a novice and has a good attitude about teaching you the sport. I cannot personally recommend any guides, as I have not used any, but I know that Western Rivers Fly Fisher in Salt Lake, and the fly shop in Park City whose name eludes me at the moment all offer guide service. The fly shop at base of Jordanelle dam is another that offers guides. I am sure you can google to find more.

Lastly, you can fish the Provo river with spinning tackle. The regulation is flies and artificial lures, except on the bait allowed sections. I haven't been fly fishing all that long, so I have actually caught more fish from the Provo on spinners than I have with flies. So that's another option for you. For what it's worth.
[signature]
Provo is not more difficult than any other river in the area, in fact it may be easier,
that is why it is fished so much.
just make sure you are getting your nymphs close to the bottom and you
will be successful.
I get that you will be in PROVO and you want to fish, so yes, the Provo River is right there.
I agree with James. If you can afford a guide then by all means do so, or just let us know here when exactly you will be there and maybe one of us could show up for a little fishing.
I would say, get some preparation, like trying to cast a little at home. Even better, find a pond and work on ROLL CASTING, cause that is the biggest part of fishing the Provo. Not always a chance for a back cast. But you do need water to practice rolls.
[signature]
Many thanks all for your quick reply. Glad to see this is an active board!

I will be visiting Provo, UT on a business trip that crosses a weekend. As I have two days to kill, thought I'd go fishing. Unfortunately, I will not be bringing any tackle hence a fly fishing school / guide / rental is probably the only option.

From what you guys have said, Provo River sounds like a good choice. Any other newbie friendly places?
[signature]
If you looking for a guide try Jans Mountain Outfitters they got some real good guides or Trout Bum never used them but its right there in Provo
[signature]