Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C&R Ceviche
Here's a ceviche recipe a friend gave me, and I found it to be so good it can convert a hard core catch and release advocate. Just joking (about the C&R crack). Use a mild fish like walleye, bass, perch, bluegill, striper etc.

Good Eating, Kayote

- cut fresh fish into ½” cubes
- shrimp
- 50/50 mix of lime juice and apple vinegar
- salt
- finely chopped ginger
- finely chopped onions
- finely chopped roma tomatoes
- finely chopped jalapeno

I also add a little liquid smoke and cilantro.

Mix the fish and the lime/vinegar together first and let that stand for 10 minutes. Then add as much of the other ingredients as your taste dictates. It’s ready to eat right away.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Looks good. I went on a trip out of Mazatlan where we caught some Dorados. On the way back, one of the deckhands filleted one side of the fish and made ceviche right there on the boat. Needless to say it was great. I would be interested how wipers or striper would do.[/size][/font]
[signature]
That sounds great! I'll have to try it on the next batch of eyes. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool]You can make ceviche out of any fish. Since thin pieces take the acid marinade better, I like to use small fillets from bluegill and perch.

Glad to see you include the cilantro. It wouldn't be autentico without the big C. By the way, I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of lime/lemon juice. Not quite as tart as straight lime juice...traditional throughout much of Mexico.

By the way, after you fish all the fish out of the juice, it makes a good lo-cal salad dressing.
[signature]
Tried it with trout once, and it came out too fishy. Some people like that flavor though. If you want it to be truly authentic Tube, just eat beans with corn tortillas. Most of the locals in Mexico get very little animal protien.

Good Eating, Kayote
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Bro. I have travelled and fished all over Mexico...fresh water and salt. I am the veteran of mucha comida Mexicana...especially simple burritos. Can't say there is much I didn't like...but there has been some that didn't like me. Great weight loss program.

If you spend any time along the Gulf of Mexico coast, near Veracruz, you will find they eat a lot of seafood. I love the way they use lots of fruits and veggies in the preparation too. Like they say about other things in life, the worst I ever had was great.

But about ceviche. I figure anyone who likes ceviche can't be all bad neither. Like BLM, some of the most memorable ocean trips have been highlighted by a batch of freshly made ceviche on the way back in. Maybe the sushi craze has made people braver these days, but whenever I used to talk about ceviche I got a lot of wrinkled noses. Heck, ceviche is almost cooked in the citrus juice. Sushi is just bait...but expensive bait.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm going to try it. I like ceviche. Now I just need to catch a few wipers and the way this weather has been, it may be a week or so before that happens![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That deckjand on the boat just used tomatoes, lime, onion, and peppers and he wasn't that piticular about measuring anything out. I'll have to try the lemon mix too to see the difference.[/size][/font]
[signature]
It sounds great now I need are a few walleyes, a sunset, my favorite drink and a hammock.
[signature]
3 years ago when I was in Curacao I learned a new twist to ceviche. The first Tuna we got he steaked out, took a ziplock, filled it with garlic, shallots, greek vinigar, red wine vinigar, lime juice and mango juice. He steaked the tuna and threw it in the bag. On the way in (about 8 hours later) he fired up the grill and got it glowing hot. He put the tuna on for about 5 seconds a side. Just to sear the juice in. Some of the best fish I've ever had.

IFG
Man, that sounds good. I think I'm hungry.

Good Eating, kayote
[signature]
Hey Tube,

I grew up in San Diego and spent most of my time fishing the salt in the Sea of Cortez. I was simply pointing out the class system in Mexico. The Mexican people of Spanish descent eat lots of animal protien, but the indians barely eat at all. Simple point. I live for old Mexico and plan to retire there some day. I tend to favor the Baja cuisine myself. I'm a fool for carne aSada. If you like Mexico as much as I do, you can't be all bad either (especially for an old dude from Arizona) LMAO. Peace bro.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Kayote,

I hear there are some massive 150#+ Cubera snapper in the Sea of Cortz. One day I hope to get a big one. My biggest to date was only 50#s off the Gold Coast. Ever get any down there?

IFG
No, I havn't. I have hooked some big grouper and black sea bass though. I just can't usually land them LMAO. They run for the rocks. The one I really want to catch is the totuava (see pic). They are totally protected now, but would be a hoot to C&R. Here are also Baja grouper pics, all from the 1950's. You know, maybe we could put together a BFT Utah trip down to Rancho Leonero or somewhere. Just a thought. Hmmmmm

Good Baja Fishing, Kayote

Totuava

[Image: l37313.jpg]

Grouper (jewfish)

[Image: l37314.jpg]

More Grouper

[Image: l37315.jpg]
[signature]