• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye Food
This is a DWR press notice:

Stocking June suckers from a barge

What: Biologists will use a barge to stock Utah Lake with thousands of
June suckers. At one time, these native fish were nearly extinct. This
project is part of a long-term, multi-agency effort to recover the
fish.

When: Tentatively scheduled for August 4 (verify with contact)

Where: Utah Lake

[signature]
Reminds me of the Colorado River in Arizona. They stock hatchery Trout right above and in Lake Mohave. The Striped Bass love 'em. And all compliments of the American tax payer's dollars.

As TubeDude once said "Just wade out into Utah Lake and tap the heels on your waders over and over and say"— 'There is no fish like June Suckers'.[:p]

For me though it reminds of trying to feed a hungry cat. You know there is this hungry cat and you feel sorry for it. So you leave it some food, but there is this dog that lives next door to your house. And every time you go to feed the cat, here comes the dog, chases the cat away and eats the cats food.

LOL!
[signature]
Please be sure to thank the DWR for feeding my Walleye!!!!!

I am curious to know the cost of this walleye food maybe the money could be better spent stocking perch instead of a species that no one cares about, or is this a species that we all should care about?

Does the June Sucker add any significant atribute for the ecosystem? Or is the June Sucker just a native fish that the DWR wants to save?

I know that we live in a trout state and warm water species are not DWR's main focus (I heard this straight out of a bioligist's mouth) but I beleive that the majority of BFT's do fish for warm water species and we care about their health.

I am addicted to Walleye fishing and keep them in highest regards along with catfish, why because they are my favorite species to eat. I do however love eat perch and crappie and I feel most of the time in Utah waters that they are on their own as far as surviving goes.

Macks (Lake Trout) in my opinion are a trash fish and to be acurate they are not even a trout they are a Artic Charr. I have eaten a few Lake Trout and feel that they are not very good and cannot compare with Walleye, catfish, Crappie, Yellow perch, White Bass, and many others yet they are deemed important in maney Utah waters.

Would we have Walleye in DC if they were not illegally stocked?

I am just venting a little don't pay any attention to me I would just like to see more warm water species get the attention they deserve and not have money spent where either it is not effective or just not justified.

Thanks,
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This is another topic that pops up at least a couple of times a year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=401638;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]3/18/08 DISCUSSION[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Don't blame the DWR. Their hands are tied by the Federal Endangered Species Act. June Suckers are federally listed as an endangered species, so by law they are required to do everything they can to keep them from going extinct and to increase their numbers and improve their habitat.

Sometimes this also benefits the sportfish we enjoy (such as habitat improvement). Other times it comes at the expense of them (like if they decide to try to kill off the predators).

Endangered species are usually considered to be 'indicator species' indicating a greater problem in the ecosystem. That being said, many of them will definitely be 'wasted' by becoming predator food, no doubt.
[signature]
Where to start !! Regarding the introduction of Walleye into Deer Creek. Several stories abound, one that several individuals filled milk cans with fish from Ut.Lake and dumped them into Deer Creek. The other is that a DWR tech did not empty a tank on his truck after a run to Starvation and dumped them into DC on the way back to Springville. Yes, they used to raise walleye at the Springville Hatchery, so that may be a credible story. I personally tend to believe the second as being the most credible as the first supposedly occurred in the mid 60's. To the best of my knowledge, walleye did not start showing up at DC till the early 80's. I was pulling nets with Charlie Thompson when the first ones appeared. This was in 82 or 83, also the first year that I caught one also.

As to the stocking of June Suckers in Ut. Lake. The reason that they are using the barge is to prevent what you are applauding, the dining on the suckers by the rest of the predators in the lake. If they were to dump them in the river, in the harbor, etc, the scene as described at the upper end of Mohave would take place. By taking them into "deep water" off shore, the small suckers have a better chance of survival. There is a resurgance of rooted vegetation mid lake and my guess is that they will dump the little critters in and around these weed beds. Many will become dinner, but many will survive. I would also surmise that these will be larger fish, 6-8 inches long to also increase the survival rate. Smaller 2-4 inch fingerlings would just ring the dinner bell.

So, the more suckers that survive, the more little suckers they will produce, which will placate those who worship at the alter of endangered species. But it will also provide a larger number of tasty little suckers for the toothy critters, WB, crappie, bass, and whisker fish. So there is an upside to all of this.

My only problem is that it is costing us $50,000,000.00 to do this.
hey randy look at it this way.. the Utah DWR and the fed's are footing the bill to plant walleye food in utah lake and on top of that they are keeping the water level's up by robbing another total wast of money strawberry! and to put the creem on the cake! they are going to try and kill all the carp in utah lake! so hey there's not to much to complane about on this one!! [sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"Indicator species". That is like the canary in the mines. If it croaks, the air is bad, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What I find amusing is all the weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth and arm waving. WHAT SHALL WE DO? WHAT SHALL WE DO?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plan A...croak the carp. Now THEY are an indicator species if there ever was one. When they show up it is an indication that the waters will never be the same. Sure, the predators eat plenty of the little Junies, but carp destroy the habitat necessary to produce more. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's get a chant going...[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]SAVE THE SUCKERS[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]CROAK THE CARP[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I wonder how PETA would reconcile that? [cool] The only way to save the endangered species is the 'senseless slaughter' of all those poor innocent carp fishies! [shocked]
[signature]
Ah.. the 3/18 june sucker discussion.. Now that was a good thread! It prompted me to do some additional research on my own and I found out a lot about Utah Lake because of it... Got a book and DVD, and found out stuff that I never would have otherwise!
Now, instead of scoff at the releasing of the Junies.. I wish them Luck.. A LOT OF LUCK! (they're going to need it) Hopefully they can/will find a spot on the lake where there isn't a lot of walleye/catfish structure.. but they are all over the lake and the areas they need to live.. they share with their predators.. at least they are kept alive over in Mona.. They'll never get the carp out.. and the Junies will never make a recovery because of it(and many other "Trials").. I wonder if they have considered making a holding bin for the junies a little nursery in the lake.. No carp.. no walleye or cats or whites.. just a marked off area for them to grow up big enough in.. but even then.. they won't be able to make it .. Amazing that they used to be so prolific in that lake in the early 1900's ... Couple drought years.. and that's all she wrote..
they went from king of the lake to barely alive. Kind of hard for any fish to survive in a lake that has an average depth of 1 foot! (Except Carp) It's amazing that they survived at all.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That book and CD on the Utah Lake Legacy you let me borrow WAS very interesting and enlightening. We had a couple of other environmental discussions on Utah Lake right after the last goround on Junies. Here are links to those threads for anybody who missed them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=404315;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][size 2]Utah Lake Legacy 3/30/08[/size][/url]
[size 1][black][size 2][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=402997#402997"]Utah Lake Water Quality Report (2005) 3/25/08[/url][/size][/black]
[/size][size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][#0000ff][size 3]It really is surprising that Utah Lake supports any fish life at all...and that it continues to hold such a large biomass even after repeated cycles of drought and human interference over the decades. It would be great to have a crystal ball and to view the lake as it would be at the end of each decade into the future. I hope our kids and grandkids get it right.[/size][/#0000ff]
[/size]
[signature]
[#008000]I was at the June Sucker parole and temporary probation party last year. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Here are some photos of the "Release Barge" they use to transport the menu items to the dinner table.[/#008000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=360314"][#000080][size 4]LINK to BFT thread with some of my photos from last year[/size][/#000080][/url]
[signature]
Cat_man if you review my post you realize that on the topic of June Suckers I was asking questions and not laying blame on anyone but now that you got me going I want you to pay attention. I have never wittnessed any government agency ever taking blame or standing accountable for anything. What I blaming the DWR for is the lack of interest that they are paying to warm water species or would you preferr that I blame the Legislature, Governor or better yet would you like me to stand accountable.

I have a lot of respect for the Utah DWR and do not want anyone to think that I am not a fan but (and there is always a but) I would like to see them be accountable for the decisions that they make regarding Utah's waters. Everyone makes mistakes but can you fess up when you do I don't think any Government agency will unless the population demands it.

Cat_man I do not want you to think that I am dissing you, I just would like the establishment to fess up and say, sure me have made some bad choices but we have learned from our mistakes. What we get is IT'S NOT OUR FALT don't blame us. So all in all please don't be a DWR homer let them stand accountable I promise I won't bite.

Randy
[signature]
My comment about not blaming the DWR was directed at this comment:
[quote fish_fanatic]I would just like to see more warm water species get the attention they deserve and not have money spent where either it is not effective or just not justified.[/quote] (emphasis added)

The DWR has to spend that money on Utah Lake and specifically for the protectiion and restoration of the June Sucker. That is why it is justified. Also, some of that money is federal $$$ given to them specifically for that purpose.

The good side is that much of it will benefit all those 'warm-water' species you love so much (catfish,walleye,bass,perch,etc.).

Habitat improvement projects including improvements to lower hobble creek and the area where it enters Provo Bay (mud lake) in an effort to give the June Suckers another place to spawn, will also benefit all the other species in Utah Lake.

I think noone would argue that carp eradication would benefit the majority of the other species in Utah Lake (although it'll never happen, maybe they will find a way to significantly reduce numbers, who know?).

I really don't think there is any lack of good fishing for bass, walleye, perch, bluegill, white bass, wipers, etc. in Utah, and specifically in the Wasatch Front area. Most of those fish are extremely prolific and overrun a body of water quite easily without needing additional stocking by the DWR. I would argue that it would actually be a waste of money in most cases to stock bass, panfish or walleye in any water in the state. They usually are overpopulated as it is.

Finally, hopefully nothing I said was offensive to you. Good fishing!
[signature]
Here is my idea. It would be wise to set up a half-million dollar contest. I know in some of the minds here in Utah that would be "gambling", or perhaps not.

By having some sort of contest that would offer a huge some of money. Thats right, a half-million dollars. Whoever catches the most carp wins a half-million.

Millions of our tax dollars are being spent to rescue the June Sucker. I read both sides of the story. And it sounds like some BFTers are for in favor of taxes being spent, and some don't approve.

OK fine. How about a half-million dollar contest. Without spending tax dollars—and I hate the government spending our money on whatever the blank they want to.[mad] Ugh!

I'm serious. Here is my idea: just have fisherman in our state donate to this contest. Simple as that. Until one half-million dollars is reached. If the DWR insist they could ask for these donations either while purchasing a Utah fishing license. Or through promotion of one form or another.

Too me this would be fun and a great idea. The contest could go on for about two years. Thats a long time but it would put a dent in the carp population. For 500 grand it would be well worth two years of "whoever catches the most carp wins"!
[signature]
Nifty! I'm all for that.

But nobody likes to use (eat) carp. Seems to me that a lot of complaints (not just in this topic, but otherwise) are about Walleye taking over, too. For instance, they're "no limit" right now at Red Fleet, which indicates to me that DWR wants to get rid of 'em...at least there.

I always wanted to try carp. And then if I don't like it, it's good for bait. Since Utah Lake is much closer to me than Red Fleet, I'd be happy with a contest for walleye too (which I absolutely love!). If there was a "no limit" on 'em for that, I'd certainly be willing to give a fee to get in. But I'm poor, if it was over a couple hundred dollars each contestant, I couldn't anyway.
[signature]
problem.. there is over 100+ ton's of carp in utah lake..

first promlem is there is not going to be that meny pepole that will fish for them..even for a 1/2 million dollars

2nd is how meny do you realy think they are going to catch on rod and reel or even bow's cast net's and sean net's even gill net's..

3rd and not lest what are you going to do with over 100+ ton's of dead stinking carp?

i would even ventur to say there might be up to a 1000 ton's of carp in utah lake..
[signature]