Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Oxbow Report with pics
Two weeks ago I went camping/fishing with a friend and his family. I thought we were going to Brownlee but it turned out we were camping at McCormick Park at the Brownlee dam.

The camping was awsome with shade trees and good fishing water nearby. Since I was dealing with four excited boys I only fished spuradically over the course of the three days.

On Thursday morning I woke up before anyone else and got walked the bank. I caught 7 smallmouth "walking the dog" with a zarra spook. I was excited because I had only seen this done on TV. Tried the same thing the next morning with no results.

The other thing that I tried for the first time was drop shotting. Again, I had only seen this done on TV. I went out on a boat for a couple of hours. Everyone caught a few smallmouth, but I killed them with a drop shot and a leech shaped plastic.

The biggest obsticle for the day was keeping the crappie off of the hook. It seemed like they were everywhere. I have never seen crappie in those kind of numbers.

The cat fishing was also very good. I did best rigging a pencil lead like you do for steel head fishing. I did not catch any giants but we did catch several in the 4lb range.

On our last day we had a big fish fry with the crappie and catfish. Yum...

My kids have never been so busy reeling in good sized fish. I really hope I can get back to that side of the state next year.

Next year I will concentrate on catching the smallmouth on my flyrod.
[signature]
Great Report .
[signature]
That sounds like a great time!
Where is this magic place with shade trees and fish filled waters?
[signature]