Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Line Weight for Lake St. Clair smallies
[fishin]Did my first bass tournament last weekend on Lake St. Clair. Did not have the best of luck and was wondering what line weight and brand one might reccomend for these smallies. I fished Tubes on 12 pd Trilene smooth casting and sinkos on 10 pd Trilene XT. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you!
[signature]
It sounds like you are using good sizes for all practical purposes and it is more sporting like to use the lighter pound test.

Sometimes a tournament or structural challenges may require a stronger test line.

I prefer the lighter lines myself. I would rather use a little drag instead of just man handlig the fish in.

When it comes down to needing to get a fish in quickly, there is nothing better than using the bigger line to cause less stress and increase the chance of survival of the fish to be released.

I also use the Trilene lines. They are one of my sponsors too. You may want to check into the 14 and 17lb test lines that they make. They are exceptional for most types of Bass fishing.

One of their newer lines on the market is the Fireline Crystal. It is a braided line that is light, soft and limp. I like it for the lightweight applications as well as the rough stuff.[cool]
[signature]