Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thread sizes
[blue]I know this has been discussed before but I figure that since we are in the summer time of fishing and to go along with that many people are tying their own flies.

When reading a fly recipe it always lists the size of the thread to be used for the pattern (i.e. 6/0 or 8/0). Since the patterns list the size of the thread to use it is easy to buy it at a local fly shop and tye up the fly.

As you all know I like to ask questions so I am curious (again) what thickness the thread is as listed. What I mean by this is is a 6/0 thread thicker than an 8/0 thread (assuming of course that thread follows the same sizing pattern as hooks ((i.e. a #6 hook is larger than a # 12 hook).

Again.. just curious and also think it may help other new tyers like me who like to know the little things about this sport.

MacFly [cool][/blue]
[signature]
The smaller the number, the thicker the thread. You want THICK thread for HAIR flies so you can cinch it down without breaking.
I use 14 for almost every fly (except the hair ones) Reason, cause I do allot of 20 and smaller and it gives room for extra wraps if needed.
It will and can break easier, but I am use to it.
I even use it on my streamers now, so basically, I don't follow the recipes to a T. But I also don't have tons of different weight thread lying around.
Just 14 for flies, BIG THREAD or 3/0 for Hair and 6/0 for my leaders.
Also, I only use Uni, Griffiths and UTC. Danvilles is too fragile and frays too much.
[signature]
thats what I thought.. but was not sure.. when I was tying up some flies in TN I only had 8/0 thread with me.. I was tying up small wb type flies.. I felt I should of been using probably a 6/0 but did not have any with me.. several times my thread broke .. and it got a little frustrating to say the least..

MacFly [crazy]
[signature]
Sometimes it can break from touching the point of the hook while tying or the BOBBIN. Ceramic or TEFLON bobbins help prevent breakage.
[signature]
I am sure I knicked some of it at times.. hands are not that nimble with size 10 hooks yet.. the one bobbin I was using was ceramic.. the other was not.. but I got breaks on both.. I am sure a lot of it was me and my clumsiness..

btw.. one of the flies I tied caught me that bigger blue gill I told you about before....and yes.. I have to say..

that.. felt.. AWESOME..!!!!!!

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]After tying a number of flies you will get the feel as to how much stress an 8/0 will take compared to a 3/0. Seldom will I break the thread unless I am not paying attention and nick it on the point of the hook. Hate when I do that. I have 3 or 4 spools of 14/0 thread made by Sheer but just in the basic colors. When I first started tying I hardly had a good variety of colors so I used regular household polyester thread and lightly coated it with bees wax to enhance it's strength. No one will ever know, well except the 1 billion or so people that access the internet each day. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
since I am a novice tier I am pretty sure I either nicked it or pulled to hard.. or maybe both.. but its still good info to know about the difference in the thicknesses of the thread that is being used..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Like FG I use Griffiths / Sheer 14/0 for most of my tying these days.

I understand that Pulgassi's 12/0 is stronger and thinner than Griffith's 14/0. I may have the Italian name wrong. Any ways it is an italian manufacturer. The thread is more expensive. Feather- Craft stocks it.

I have some GSP 50 denier thread that I like. (gel spun polymer - some places on the net say it is a polyester some say it is a polyethylene). This thread is relatively new on the market. A few years ago the fly shops did not know what I was talking about when I asked for it. It is very strong and it goes on flat without a lot of build up like Griffiths 14/0.
It goes on well for small flies. One of the draw backs has been the limited colors but Wapsi has expanded it color selection. Another brand you can get in white only but it will take colors from a colored pen.

You have to apply tension on the thread to cut it. Otherwise it only gets partially cuts and causes seperation of the the fibers and curly cues. Reportedly it will dull scissors quicker. But I would say that for the non professional tier it is not going to be much of a problem.

When tying down hair with the GSP you have to be careful as you can apply enough tension to cut through the hair. I have not had that problem by making a few wraps with less tension and then adding some over wraps with more tension.

Because of it's strength it works well for large deer hair flies where you have to apply lots of tensions. For those one would want 70 denier or 100+ denier thread.

Denier is a measurement of strength rather than a measurement of diameter. Though for a given material and manufacturer the bigger the number the bigger the diameter of thread.

[url "http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=ZTR-WAP-TGSP-050"]http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=ZTR-WAP-TGSP-050[/url]
[signature]