Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard lately?
Anybody had any luck on the Wipers this last week? Last couple days? I am headed out tomorrow and I am wondering what is going on. Thanks.
[signature]
I was out there yesterday (Thursday 24th).. Caught a few but overall it was slooooow.
[signature]
It was slow for us on Sunday afternoon as well but we did notice they are finally starting the dike repair. They are sure taking their time getting started, I hope all goes well and they get the work done as they said they would[:/].
[signature]
Well I am back. It was pretty slow, but I manage to catch a limit. A couple of them were nice. One was a 19 incher and another a 17. The rest were small. Tried a lot of spots before finding them. Got lucky really. I was looking at a skunk until the last 1.5 hours.
[signature]
i noticed that they had stocked willard with a 150000 1 or 2 inch wipers at the first of the month, could this be the cause of the slow down, just a thought in my head. lots o easy targets instead of chasing down a crank bait???????????
[signature]
Sounds like you did good even if it took a while to find them. I'm guessing you caught no walleye? Usually the walleye bite is over by this time of the year, at least when it comes to trolling cranks the same as you do for wipers.
[signature]
I didn't catch any walleye. I haven't caught one at Willard yet. I have been hoping that I would latch onto one while fishing Wiper style but haven't. Do they hit while trolling slower? I am going pretty fast for the Wipers. Here is a couple pics from the 25th. I thought the big one was going to break 20in... but it was only 19. It is still probably my biggest Wiper yet.
[signature]
I catch walleye every year after they spawn and up until the middle of July or so while I'm trolling for wipers going the same speed with the same lures. I usually troll about 2.7 mph but vary the speed depending on the day and conditions. Just like fishing for wipers, don't give up and you will start catching walleye also. Your next best time will be when you start seeing boils and then in the fall when they are on the prowl again as they fatten up for winter. Not to say you can't catch them now but it is usually slow this time of the year.
[signature]