Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walla Walla fishing
I am from Idaho and I am currently in Utah, but I am considering taking a job in Walla Walla. I am the proud owner of a lifetime Idaho Fishing License. My favorite type of fishing is ice fishing and my favorite target species is Kokanee. In the summertime I fly fish from a personal watercraft.

Does anyone on this site know if there is something to interest me in Walla Walla or what type of fishing is available there?
[signature]
thats a name I have heard many a time in the past, some of the best prize winning fruit and vegies are grown there, if they grow fish there the way they grow vegies you are in for a treat for sure.[Image: surprised.gif]
[signature]
Wished I could help, but it seems that most of the good fishing is to far away from there. You have the Columbia, Potholes, Moses and Lake Roosevelt, but thats a tad of a drive.
I'm sure Walla Walla has some good local streams and ponds, but I just don't know.
[signature]
All I could find was a couple of old reports on water in Walla Walla County.
Bennington (Mill Creek [font "Times New Roman"]Reservoir) [/font]6/18/2005
“Tried Bennington (Mill Creek [font "Times New Roman"]Reservoir)[/font] for the first time, while visiting Dad. Took my brother fishing (or did he take me?) and went to Bennington. Was out in shorts and t-shirt and got caught in a nasty squall on Saturday. Once things cleared, the fishing was consistent for planted 9-11 inch rainbows. Caught some tiny perch on worms (4 inches at best!) and caught trout too. Then switched to powerbait and limited pretty quick. It was fun to get on the water with my brother, it's been a long time since we fished together. We'll be going again one of these days. Easy access from the bank made life comfortable.”

Fish Hook 5/9/2004
“A lot of fish today. A lot of 10-12 inchers and then the nice 16 inch 2lb rainbow. Nice day for fishing.[font "Times New Roman"]”[/font]

Do not be discouraged though, you would only be 30 miles from the Columbia River and 40 or so miles from Sacagawea Reservoir and the Snake River. Great fisheries, all three. Lots of different species…
Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thank you for your help. Do you happen to know what species are in those rivers and sacajawea res?
[signature]
Steelhead, bass, catfish and sturgeon are the "game" fish listed for the Snake River. The Columbia has those and seasonally shad and there are salmon runs. Of course, there are also other species such as suckers and carp that nobody lists.
Nearby Wallula Lake is listed as having Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, Cutthroat Trout, Lake Sturgeon, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Sockeye Salmon, Steelhead and Walleye
Here is a link to the official Washington State Parks page for Sacajawea State Park. It lists the fish species found in the resevior. Sounds like a pretty good fishery.
[url "http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Sacajawea"]http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Sacajawea[/url]
[signature]