Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Float Tuber created!!!
I took my 8 year old grandson, Latigo, fishing at Utah Lake today.
We were on the water by 6 a.m. I took him over to the west side of the lake. We were a little north of the Knolls. I should have gone closer to the Knolls I think. The water just wasn't that deep where we were at.
I caught the first fish just before 7 a.m. and I didn't catch another one all day. I did have a few on, but they all let go way too quick.

My grandson enjoyed the float tube from the time he got in it until we left. He thought that was the best way ever to fish. I was in my pontoon boat, I tied his tube to my boat and rowed out. He really enjoyed bobbing up and down in the waves.
This whole adventure wasn't as easy as I had envisioned. Trying to manage him and the lines wasn't that easy. We did have a few tangles, but we got through it.
He missed quite a few bites during the day. I was trying to get him to set the hook a little harder on each of the bites. He had one fish that looked like a white bass all the way to the tube when it came off. He was trying to get his net out and slacked the line just a little bit.
At about 10:30 he was reeling his line in to check his bait and all of a sudden, his pole bent over and he started squealing. I was in the middle rerigging from one of his other misfortunes. I told him to set the hook hard a couple of times and to keep the pressure on.
I stowed the rod I was working on and grabbed the net and then the rope to his tube. The fish took quite a few good line stripping runs. He fought the fish like a veteran and brought it around to me and I finally got it in the net. He was one happy little man!!! The channel cat weighed just over 6 pounds and was about 26" long.
On the ride down, he was telling me he was going to catch a two foot fish. Well, he did!!
During the time we were fighting the fish, a couple of geniuses in a small plastic boat came within about 5 feet of us. They were laughing and banging the side of there boat as they tried to work they way past us. They didn't have the right kind of oars or the know how to operate their boat. They made a butt load of noise as they went through right where we were fishing.
Luckily my grandson was wanting to go, so we left without trying to fish there anymore.
We didn't cover as much water as I would have liked to. Towing him was more work than I had figured it would be.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip with your grandson. I tried to open your pictures and got the following:

"The attachment you attempted to download does not exist "
[signature]
Try again. I just reposted them. Let me know if that doesn't work.
[signature]
Great pictures. Mighty fine catfish. Did you get the weight of it?
[signature]
Great report, your Grandson got his wish. Strange how things work out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice goin' grampa. You have ruined the kid forever...but in a good way.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just over 6 pounds on my scale.
[signature]
Nice fish Latigo. Maybe you can give me a few pointers, last few times I've gone I came home with an empty basket..
[signature]
great report. looks like you made that little guys week.
[signature]