Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pond Fishing for Bass
I have been fishing twice this week at two different local ponds in Southern VA. The first day I used a Mepps #3 lure and caught a very good sized large mouth and a few crappie. I went to a different pond today and used the same Mepps for a while and had hardly any luck. I switched to a simple artificial worm and got two bites right away and reeled in two medium size bass before the storm hit Sad. What I am wondering is if the pond or the weather can depend on what lure to use. I noticed on the Mepps package it said that the particular one I had was good at evening time. If anyone has any suggestions or changes that I can make I would greatly appreciate it. I am very new to fishing and I want to make sure I am doing things right. Any other advice on lures for catching bass would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[signature]
I did some fishing in VA. a couple years ago, I had the best luck on watermelon senkos on a weighted hook. Without seeing where you are fishing it's kind of tough to help but the basics are sunny days-light colors, cloudy days-dark colors. After a storm when it's real calm a topwater like a Zara Spook works pretty good. There are all sorts of variables that will change the bite. That's my favorite time to fish is when fishing is tough, it allows me to play with all my toys untill I find something they want [Smile].
Water clarity plays a role as well as structure, depth, forage, etc. I don't know if I helped or made things more confusing [crazy]. Tell us some details on the water you are fishing and I'm sure we can put you on some fish.
[signature]
You didn't confuse me at all! I really appreciate your help. As far as knowing more about the waters I'll see if I can help you out. I know that the pond I've been fishing the most lately is rain fed. There is no structure or anything inside of it (docks, etc.) and there are some shaded areas and some brush weeds. All of the big fish I have hooked have been near the bank in some of the more secluded areas in the pond. The water is very dark and I have noticed that the fish like the artificial worms and the spinner bait. I was wondering about that watermelon bait you were telling me about if you could let me know a little more about how it works and if it is easily attainable and such. The water being rain fed is obviously dark and the pond is not extremely huge but is a fairly good size. If you need more info just let me know. I really appreciate everyone's help and I hope I don't sound too stupid about this. I've only been fishing for about a month now.
[signature]
Welcome aboard dgmcclanahan and thanks for sharing with us here.

We are always glad to offer any advice an suggestions here in exchange for some nice fishing reports and the reward of anglers getting better at what they enjoy most.

There are no Stupid questions here. All questions are addressed and answered with the intent to educate those whom seek the knowledge.

It looks like your pond would be more murky at times and you could benefit from the darker colors of artificial worms.

Whether you buy the Yamamotos, Trix, Goggle eyes, Efectsor whatever brand you have locally, the darker colors will be better more often then not.

We do have a member on the boards that sells some very nice plastics. You can check his website out at Maniac custom lures. He can even make custom plastics for you if you need them later on.

Please enjoy yourself and by all means, use the information that you receive here.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.[cool]
[signature]
[Image: 012.jpg] This is a watermelon saltstick by Maniac. Acts like a senco, but lasts longer. It's just one tool you'll be buying to chase bass. Alot of good info in past posts on what to use. Good luck.
[signature]
The pond you described sounds just like the one behind my house! What a blast it is to fish back there when the bass are hitting.

If the water is murky in your pond as it is in mine, color choice is a factor. I have no luck throwing earthy tone senkos unless I just about hit the fish in the head with the lure. I did have good luck with red with red flake and daquiri (light blue) senkos.

Look into some senko style worms for a good place to start. As mentioned, topwater lures will work well at times, too!
[signature]
I really appreciate everyone's help. I already have a bag of what seem to be salted artificial worms. I think the brand is zoom bait...just something I picked up from wal-mart. I assume when you talk about senkos that is they style of the worm? Another stupid question I know but I'm desperate here. I guess I will go out and buy some watermelon and some light blue or something. So does the Mepps I am using still good to use or should I just try the worms. I don't know much about top water but would like to try some. I have also heard that rooster tail's are good. Any extra input would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to thank you all for being so patient with me. I really feel welcomed here so thank you all!
[signature]
First off, I'm happy that we can help. I call all stickbaits 'Senkos'. Gary Yamamoto baits produces the Senkos which are well known amongst bass anglers, therefore any imitation is called a Senko. They are nice but they are pricey and they don't hold up well. I prefer to use Wave Worms Tiki Sticks, they're updating their website right now but a search on "wave Worms" will produce quite a bit of info. I like Wave Worms because they are cheap, last long, multiple color selection, and they sell them at Wally World (Wal-Mart).
There is nothing wrong with using a spinner, if it's catching fish that's all that matters but you are limited to fishing open water where there are no snags. Spinner and chatterbaits work well when there is 'cover' but will still pull up moss. That's the advantage of using a stickbait as it is weedless when Texas rigged. I'll shoot ya pm.
[signature]
The Mepp's, Rooster Tails, Blue Fox Vibrax, and Panther Martin spinners are all pretty good lures. If you're catching fish, that's the real measurement. I'd try some spinnerbaits if the in-line spinners are catching fish. A spinnerbait will be more weedless than the in-line spinners and should be just as effective on bass.

Check out the Wave Worm Tiki Stiks as Fish4Fun mentioned. Wal-Mart also carries Kinami Flash worms which are another Senko-style stickbait, actually made by Gary Yamamoto. The Wave Worms are the best bang for your buck.

As far as topwater goes, try a buzzbait or a prop bait (looks like a small torpedo with metal blades on the nose and rear).
[signature]
While on the subject of Senkos and Wallys World, there will come a day when you are getting your worms chewed all to death.

When you come to this point in time I would like to suggest switching to the Strike King brand. They are super stretchy and 1 single worm can last a whole day before you get tired of looking at it fish after fish and end up throwig it away or storing it somewhere.

Wallys World also carries the Strike King brand. There are less worms per package but they can last more than one trip per worm.[cool]
[signature]
Well everyone...I went to the pond on Saturday afternoon. We had a decent rain for about 1 1/2 hours and after that I went to the pond. I bought some watermelon colored wave worms at wal-mart the night before and a 1/8 white rooster tail. I caught one small bass and a whole bunch of little blue gill. The important thing is though is that I was catching fish. I caught a whole lot more on the lures that you all recommended to me. Thank you guys so much for all your help! It will probably be a while before I go to the pond up here. I moved back to Lynchburg yesterday because of the fact that school is starting. Most of my fishing will probably take place in the James River for a while. I know nothing about river fishing though so I'm sure I will be on here for some pointers! Thanks everyone for all your help! Oh yeah...I know that I wanna fish for smallmouth so I'll still be on the forum...Thanks again!
[signature]
Way to go on fishing the pond. We are glad that you could benefit from our advice.

You will like the Lynchburg fishing. I have been to that town a couple times. I like fishing between the 5th st bridge and the Falls.

There are some decent Small Mouth there as well as some nice Crappie. Someone told me there were some good Trout near the falls but I didn't have too much time to target them when I was out there last.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

If you ever get a chance, just above Roanoke is a nice little lake called Carvins Cove Reservoir.

That has some good Large Mouth and Small Mouth fishing as well as some nice Catfish.[cool]
[signature]