Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to backpack for good fly-fishing.
I'm trying to find out where I can backpack to, to get to some good fly fishing away from all the people. After fishing the people hatch, I mean the green drake hatch on the provo the last couple of weeks I need to go somewhere else where there is not so much pressure. I am in very good physical condition and am an experienced fly fisherman. i am not so much concerned with catching large numbers . I just want a crack at some good size fish. Any suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to send me a PM.
[signature]
What are you looking for? Daytrip, multiday, lakes or rivers? In Utah only or willing to go to surrounding states? Let me know and I can point you in the right direction. It's always fun to pull out The Delorme and find a stream you've never fished and go try it.
[signature]
If I were going right now, I would go to the Grandaddy Lakes area. Tons of different lakes to fish, beautiful country and the fish are a decent size. There was a report in the last couple days in the "General Fishing" forum that some guy posted. You should check it out.
[signature]
If you are willing to drive a few hours, there are a few places that I would recommend.

1) Bechler River - Fall River drainage, outside of Ashton, ID in YNP

2) Lamar River drainage - longer drive, but worth the trip, take along some bear spray and mosquito repellant, but the fish are definitely sizeable

3) Yellowstone River below the falls in the park (Grand or Black Canyons) - big water, big fish
[signature]
Id say either up in the High Uintas or PM Up Logan Canyon
[signature]
Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking for a two night trip, most likely in the uintahs, either north slope or south slope. I saw the post for grandaddy lakes. Any ideas on where the best brookies would be? Do I need to head towards the Boulder Mtns to find anything of size?
[signature]
My experience with brookies in the Uintas is that there are more and more stunted brooks replacing descent size trout of other species. If I was going up to the Uintas right now for a couple day backpacking trip I'd probable head up to Red Castle Lake. Have a safe trip wherever you go.
[signature]
Wind Rivers[Wink]
[signature]