Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riggin' my Plastics
So I know there are probably a million and one threads about rigging a worm properly, but I'm pretty dumb even when looking at a picture. So I've mentioned the pond at the country club that I fish often. We have a fountain in the middle and about 5 points on the pond that I like to hit. The waters are sorta murky, but on a nice day with some polarized sunglassed you can see pretty well in it. The current created by the fountain causes a pretty good push towards the shore on a windy-ish day. I'll make this quick, I'm going to invest in some Strike King plastics and the Senkos you all tell me to use, but how should I rig a worm when there's a current bringing it in, and could you tell me how to make the bait "preform" I guess you could say. Anything helps, afterall I'm still not that great of a fisherman yet! Smile
[signature]
Just rig them Texas style. I just did a Google search for Texas rigged plastics and found a ton of stuff but here is a link, catcherman.com/...ing030602sportmn.htm
Use a 2/0 hook and a 7' worm. Since the water is a little off color use dark colors, black, june bug, green pumpkin. Use a 1/2oz bullet sinker and my favorite trick, a 7mm multi faceted glass bead. The bead and the weight click together and draw in the the fish. Make sure you're using a fairly stout rod with 10lb line so you can penetrate the lure and the fishes mouth. No trout tackle here. Good Luck

HockeyMan

***please don't put links to other forums*** Tn2
[signature]
I'm not bagging the Yamamoto Senkos but buy an off-brand and save some $. Kinami Baits (owned by Yamamoto) are cheaper as well as Chompers, Wave Worms, Kicker Fish, etc.
I order my stickbaits off Ebay from [url "http://stores.ebay.com/All-American-Tackle-Mfg-Company_W0QQ_trksidZp284.m184QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4"]this guy[/url], can't beat the prices anywhere!
The texas rig is explained perfectly [url "http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpndQeBhnU"]here[/url]. This will keep the worm down and snag free (almost [Wink]).
[signature]
Start off with a bag of 4" or 5" Kinamis or Yamamotos or Wave Worms (or whatever) and a package of 3/0 or 4/0 EWG (Extra Wide Gap) worm hooks. Ten bucks should be plenty.

Do a yahoo search for Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits. Doodle around on his website and you'll find some videos that will help you fish the Senko-style bait, whatever brand you choose. Yamamoto recommends a 3/0 EWG hook for 4" Senkos and a 4/0 EWG for 5" Senkos.

The EWG hooks are used for weightless Texas Rig. If a picture doesn't help you, I doubt I can help you with a text explanation. There is a video of how to rig the Senko-style baits on Yamamoto's website as well.

Weightless Texas Rig is widely the most popular rig for Senko-style baits. The lure slowly sinks and wiggles at the tail. Strikes often occur within a few seconds of the bait hitting the water. If you don't get any action in the time it takes for the bait to hit the bottom, lift it and reel it in a bit so as to recreate the initial falling action in another location.

I've had luck with Senko-style baits on a Carolina Rig as well, but that is for deeper water than you'll encounter in your pond. As food for thought, another effective technique for your application would be a Wacky Rig. For the Wacky Rig, you can use the same bait, just a smaller hook. I use a #1 Mosquito hook (much smaller than a 3/0 EWG) for that rig. It's a little simpler than weightless Texas Rig; Just run the hook into the egg sack (middle of the worm) with the point sticking out. It's pretty much fished the same way as weightless Texas Rig after that.
[signature]
i dont have alot to add to this thread but IMHO the wave stick worms suck. they dont wiggle like the senkos, and the plastic on some of the lighter colors(like magic shad) turns yellow in less than a year. just buy the yamamoto kinami or zoom z nail.
[signature]