Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge last weekend
Hooked up with Captain Jim last Thursday for some laker fishin'. Had a great time and ended up with a 31, a 25, and a 23. Missed several others due to a "loose nut" on the reel. Gotta have a fast trigger pull when you're jiggin' with Jim. Tried it on our own Fri. and Sat. and only got a few puppies and some smallmouths.

Sittin' in the motel Fri. afternoon waiting for a weather report from Ch. 5 and got a bit of a shock when they announced "a serious fire three miles south of Payson.... a helicopter crew on the way with pics at 6:00." Three miles south of Payson is my home! Anxiety level went up several notches while I waited for more info and tried several times to get a call through to my wife. Got a good view of my home from the ch. 5 chopper at 6:00 and was relieved to see that I still had a home. Close call.

Went out Fri. night late to try for one of those pre-historic critters called burbot. Went up north to Skunk Cliffs just before dark and fished for a couple of hours. Only caught one of the ugly fish and that was enough. Looked like a cross between an eel and a cat fish. Found out it is really dark up there in that canyon with a cloudy sky. Was not prepared and had to feel our way back to Buckboard in the dark. Never again without a good 12 volt spot light. Not a fun thing to do with only a flash light and running lights. Live and learn.

Good trip, but really hot weather. Bass tournament going on Fri. and Sat. that made it a bit crowded at the Lucerne launch but it's a big water and we had no trouble finding peaceful fishing. Always a pleasure to fish with Captain Jim and good opportunity to pick up some of the finer points of jiggin' for lakers. Thanks Jim.

Also picked up a citation from the Wyo. Game and Fish for not having a "throw- out cushion or life saving device" in my boat. I thought I had everything to be legal... reciprocals, permits, extinguisher, jackets, insurance, etc. but I was ignorant about a throwable cushion. Only gave me a warning and I picked up a cushion at the marina for $15.

Nice trip and I'll be back when the weather cools.
[signature]
nice job. [Wink] a 31 is no sloutch![fishin]
[signature]
Quote:Also picked up a citation from the Wyo. Game and Fish for not having a "throw- out cushion or life saving device" in my boat.

Was the CO on a jet ski? Guy's name is Ryan, out of Green River. Not surprised to see he cut you some slack; very nice guy.

BTW, the WY Boating Reg's website is not as clear as UT's, but the cushion is listed.
[signature]
He was on a jet ski and you are right he is a super nice guy. Pointed out several places we might want to try for macks and burbot. I appreciated him and his willingness to cut me some slack. Always want to be legal so I appreciated his "warning."
[signature]
Bet he waited till you were either moving to a new location or till you were paused in what you were doing instead of roaring up on his craft and throwing a wake on you. Wyoming CO's are the most polite group of CO's I have ever met, also the most thorough !!!