Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk in AF Canyon
Well, I didn't get an archery permit for deer this year. I had my first kid in June and kinda got distracted and wasn't able to snag one in time. I had hunted a lot last year just in the Wasatch extended archery hunt, and was able to shoot a nice buck. So, I'm looking to pick up an archery elk tag and I was wondering if anyone knew much about elk in AF canyon? I ran into a nice herd a few years back that had two nice bulls in it. It's a spike only hunt and I'm fine with shooting a spike or a cow. I'm thinking of AF, cause the wife's a little anal on me being gone too long with the new baby and I live in Lehi and figured that was my safest bet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
Lots of elk up on top around Redford's Ground just don't get caught on the property. My brother-in-law and his buddy both kill their elk there every year with their bows. They live in AF so they hunt it pretty much every evening. I hunted there a couple years ago when I drew a Wasatch tag and saw plenty of elk just nothing that I had an opportunity to take with my bow. Lots of roads on top that you can hike off and do some glassing.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice! I went up yesterday after work to scout around. Got pretty soaked in the rain, which made for a fun night. I saw some good sign, but no elk. I always hate going in someplace unprepared, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. Is the property around Redfords fenced? Thanks again.
[signature]
I don't think it is all fenced but I know there are signs along the road showing the boundary. I won't give away my brother-in-laws locations but I saw alot of elk after you top out and head toward Cascade Springs. There are several dirt roads leading to the North and some great ridges you can hike and glass. They mainly hunt water holes from tree stands. They hike back in aways and bone the animals to get them out on packframes. The two of them are 100% for the last 7 or 8 years, with at least one spike each season. Good luck on your hunt. I too bow hunt but I hunt the Current creek area with my wife. No elk last year but we each took our bucks down there. My trail cameras have come up with alot of elk shots this summer so maybe one of us can connect on an elk in a couple weeks.
[signature]
Thanks again, I'll have to go check it out (hopefully without the rain this time). Good luck to you and your wife!
[signature]