Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpine
Wondered what others opinions might be towards the 2008 Buckbags Alpine

[url "http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=561"]http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=561[/url]

Looks like it might be a good one to consider with shallow draft double pontoons and versa frame (whatever that might be)???

What have others experienced in quality and service in the past from Bucksbags?
[signature]
Buck's has a pretty good quality history in my book, and 50 lbs for a steel frame 'toon ain't bad, especially with four bladders.

Huge pockets, and comes with the motor mount/anchor point as a bonus. Nice specs.

I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.

You going to do any river fishing? Big windy lakes? Plan on a motor? How big are ya? 300 lb 'toon capacity ain't that hot - somewhat strange...

_SHig
[signature]
well my thoughts were that the foot print seemed about the right size, not too big and not too small, as well as the weight of it (if shipping is at 50 lbs it must be closer to 40lbs?).

I am around 210, but I figured the 300 lb capacity is similar to the Fat Cat capacity. Similarly I went out with Denny Rickards and he fished from a Super Cat 60 which seemed similar in size and price (only none of this bladder stuff to mess with, it has bladderless pontoons like the big boys have).

I am interested the most in stillwater use, so I don't need to run the rivers with it. I don't know how the frame is assembled so could be bulky to stow/transport (unlike a v-shaped tube for packability). Wondered about comfort in the bucket shaped seats as well. The plus for this would be ability to add a trolling motor on windy days or on more of my lazier days.
[signature]
I can tell you Bucks is one the best made pontoons on the market. USA made, urethane and that frame is a newer design but killer. Versa frame means it is versatile, motor and anchor.
My first pontoon was the Alpine only mine was 6' long not 7' so that there is a bonus. That was about 10 years ago. My brother in law still uses the crap out of it and is not gentle, meaning he drags it to the water. That thing has NEVER had a leak, nor a tear in the cloth. They are TUFF AS HECK and that is an excellent choice.
The molded seats are wonderful, but if it isn't padded you will want to do so.
YES, you can add a motor, I did and again, mine was a foot shorter. Just be sure to us a MARINE deep cycle battery, and place it as close as you can to the back of the seat (center of the boat) You might need to move the frame forward as far as you can on the tubes, to make it ride level.
Don't forget a life vest at all times wether you have it on or not, but easy to reach, and you will have to license it if you put any kind of motor. Here it is around $27. a year, but now it is one year from the day you buy it instead of April.

EDIT: I sold it 10 years ago, I had it for 5, so it is 15 years old.
[signature]
Oh yeah, you don't need to wear full waders, you can get by with hippers, but I do recommend still using fins. With out a motor it gives you more hands on fishing, and with the motor, I steer with my feet/flippers so again, hands on.
Allot of people will go out with regular shoes on and use the motor totally, but anything can happen and I don't trust a motor that much.
[signature]
My new ODC 816 is listed at 45 lbs with an aluminum frame and molded unpadded seat. Yours with the steel frame and extra bladders (vinyl, BTW) and the extra frameage for the motor/anchor probably is closer to 50. Not much packaging I'm guessing...

I think FG has a point about padding the seat (I may pad mine with a PFD cushion), but long term I'm planning to swap it out for a something that will pack smaller (sling tube frame seat?).

Definitely get some fins though. Fine positioning with fins, motoring with oars. If you don't get fins you might as well get a kayak instead. Faster and you don't need to get wet.

_SHig
[signature]
I meant mine was Urethane, but as you have pointed out, what is the difference.
They look smaller diameter (LOW PROFILE), that could be why the 300 lb capacity.
Can't find anywhere the diameter of the toons.
[signature]
I thought about this one last night.
My answer was given on the way they were. I have no idea what they might have changed. I know the ad says all made in America, but I have also heard all vinyl is coming from overseas, just like OUTCAST.
Looking at the picture, I like the oar mounts, they are in a great spot and high enough you won't hit your knees. The covers like Outcast are thick and strong, and the stitching or welding of the covers looks to be the same (again strong as heck)
They really don't give enough info on the Alpine, like tube diameter, outer cover material and denier.
The low profile is great to me cause it does hold the wind resistance lower.
I can tell you, all my boats are a 12" diameter.
The weight thing, I am a woman so I don't really worry about it, but, in addition to your weight, you have gear which really doesn't add up to that much, but add around 60 to 75 more pounds for a battery and a motor. And if you use a weighted anchor, add that.
There are other boats on the market with vinyl bladders for less money.
My concern again will be how thick is the outer cover and how is it made.
As far as the steel frame, again, mine shows no rust and is in great shape, but it is heavier than aluminum. A boat that size it might not be that big of deal, in that I can pick my old one up.

Most my friends do own BUCKs and I am impressed with them, but with the changing world, I am not sure how new ones compare to the old ones. And I have no idea how Bucks is on quality control or assistance. No one has ever need to try.

It does appear however, that Both Bucks and Outcast, have changed there less expensive versions, but the upper end remain the same.

On the oars again, in your search, sit in the boat, put your feet up and check the oar position.
[signature]