Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the list
My screen name is Ohio Rusty ..... and I'm new to the list with my first posting in the intro forum.
I'm 52 and been fishing since I was 3. No monster fish to brag about, and if it swims I like to catch it.
I've mostly been a fresh water fisherman. I've done quite a bit of flyfishing and bow fishing in lakes and ponds around central Ohio also. I just recently won off ebay a pony head jig mould, and I have an aspirin jig head mould. Looking forward to getting jigs made. I've been ordering components and I'll be casting within the next week or two. I have a good amount of both wheel weight lead for modern bullets, and pure lead for my flintlock muzzleloaders. I've done alot of bullet casting, so jig casting should be easy.
I hope to add some tips and hints to the list for listmembers to use to catch more and better fish.
When I go to the dentist, I always get the thin lead flat pieces that are in the bite wing xray holders. Those thin lead shims are great for cutting into strips and wrapping around hooks to make sinking flies. I use the bright shiney mylar from potato chip bags for fly body wrapping and attractor tails on lures and flies. Currently I'm working on making/cutting out some plastic willow leaf blades from old Windows CD's that have the holographic image on the front. I'll heat them and form them over a metal blade to get the convex shape. They will have lots of flash with no weight. It should be interesting to see if they work as a spinner blade on a lure. I'll try anything on fishing lures if it will help me catch fish. I've been know to scavenge deer tails and other furs and feathers from other hunters so I have plenty of lure and fly dressings.
I'll post about my jig making in the near future, and hopefully have a picture to include.
Tight lines all ...............
Ohio Rusty ><>
[signature]
You sound like someone who is willing to try different approaches to lure making and has a good imagination.
I have gone so far as to make sinkers and lure bodies out of stone and bone with various color inlays,bead heads out of rock crystal and scrap metal.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. We have a lot of fun here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry it took me a while to check in on the board. I have been busy with a lot of other things. No excuse. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If anybody needs an answer from me more quickly, don't hesitate to post your question and then PM me to let me know I have work to do.[/#0000ff]
[signature]