Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG HAS TIGER TROUT!!!!
I just found out today that utah planted tiger trout in FG.this came from some good friends at the wyo G&F office in green river. has any one caught eny and were did thay plant them I hadnt heard this till today and would love to start catching them asap have no idea of the size thay are but bet thay will get big fast just interesting and wanted to now what utah thought
[signature]
More trash fish to deal with!!! Long live the Ling Cod!![sly]

FF462[cool]
[signature]
all right that's good news.. tiger's in FG yeah!
well i dont know what areas they planted them.. but a can tell ya they behave a lot like brown trout. [sly] and fight very good for there size.. and get big fast.. should be a good fish for FG..
[signature]
Will they will eat burbot?
[signature]
i just dont get why thay would plant another predator in FG with all the scare of the burbot we are allready seeing a magger decline in the crawdad and small mouth pops which who cares about the smallies but i worry about the kokes bad with all these predators.
[signature]
Oh great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's all we needed was another predator fish in the gorge. If the Utah DWR really did plant these,I have to wonder what they were thinking.
[signature]
i have no idea what depths these fish like so iam not sure but if i was to bet hell yes thay will eat burbot thay just taste to good lol but i would rather see some of the big old browns .
[signature]
Why would any one want to catch trout that is only 3" to 5" long????

Don't you think they need to grow...
[signature]
for bait cliffy. lolol. he just want to see if its true by catching 1. jeeeesh bass fisherman. just kidding.[:p]
[signature]
hey Ash they are more of a shalow water fish and stick to the shoures most the time.. look at them like the browns of old but getting bigger faster and not reproduceing.. so if they did not put very meny in it would be like the browns had a good spown this year and will only last as long as they live.. with the mac's in there probly not meny will survive the winter.. lol sould be some good food and some fun catching in a year or two tho.. [sly]
[signature]
Mack candy for sure....[sly][sly]
[signature]
If you read the Utah 2008 fishing proclamation they are raising (in the future) Kamloops Rainbow Trout at the hatchery in the Uintah Basin. Its the Whiterocks hatchery. Just read the proclamation.

Happy fishing
[signature]
[quote kokeking]Oh great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's all we needed was another predator fish in the gorge. If the Utah DWR really did plant these,I have to wonder WTF they were thinking.[/quote]
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Utah DWR here thinks?

Where's that Ryno guy on here. Isn't he a biologist with DWR? Maybe he can confirm or deny the report, and explain why they were planted if that's the case.

I've never met him, so I don't know his philosophy or views on the fishery, but regulars here know what the DWR has been saying for over a decade about the "fishery that will crash soon", extinct kokanee, vicious predatory lake trout that don't have enough to eat, and all the other bunk that hasn't happened despite their "expert" predictions.
[signature]
hey ash met a guy at holmes last week from star valley he claims the burbot got in there from a planting by the wyo fish and game thought they were putting in catfish,minnows.just what he said apparently them and burbot look the same.the planting was at holmes.maybe thats why they took off so fast. seen ray jhson for a couple days he sure catches alot of kokes[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I don't know the exact truth about Wyo. Game & Fish stocking tiger trout, but this is definetely not the firts time I have heard about them at the Gorge. I have personally caught cutthroat and brook trout there. And I have talked to people and have seen tiger trout caught at the Gorge by the Sheep Creek Inlet, Eagle Creek, Skull Creek and Gold point. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I guess they must have made their way down through the creeks or were in the Green River and tributaires before they dammed the canyon. There are many creeks and streams that lead to the Green and it is a great way for a few tiger trout and brook trout as well as others to get in. I don't think brook trout or tiger trout will ever increase significantly numbers at the Gorge. That is my opinion. [fishin][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
[shocked] Im not suprised before ya know it tiger trout will be everywhere..In Utah that is.. According to Utah 2008 stockin reports they planted kokes in the gorge and thats it ... if you heard it from the wyo source than it may be true.. Wherever they were stocked they wont b far from.. tigers are not knowned to travel very farrrr.Like fuzzy said shallow not to deep they be.. a big chunk o o chub on a jig will get em..Also any fish imitation will catch that tiger as well ..Fish on ..FISHAMANIAC..[Wink]
[signature]
The gorge ain't my stompin grounds so to speak, but my guess from prior "experience" is that they needed to batch out a bunch of sterile hybrids to make way for something else in their hatchery. If the fish are fry size then my theory is that they probably won't impact the fishery except for become cannon fodder. Somebody that knows what they're talking about please correct me.
[signature]
I know you guys always say the burbot will have an effect on the Kokanee population, but dont the lake trout eat the most Kokanee??? How come the people of Kokanee Nation dont say kill all the macs because they eat the kokes. But they say kill all the burbot, they will eat the Kokes !! A 40 lb mac will eat more kokes than a 14" burbot, and we let them go !! And if the burbot have been in there for 10 years like everyone says, shouldn't we see some effects??? It seems the Koke fishing was excellent this year, and I know a guy who has done the bass tourneys down there for years, and he says this was the best year EVER for bass fishing. I think the burbot thing is WAY overblown...the fishing is great on the Gorge and will continue that way.
[signature]
I am a warm guy (use to be a troutaholic growing up on the headwaters of the green and later kept my boat at Buckboard for 6 years) - but I must say...STOP stocking the trout in FG for a little while and stock some shad or other baitfish...that is REALLY what his fishery needs. (Yes, I do have a Biology degree). After the forage is established the Kamloops would be a VERY fun addition as would more smallies...but I would love to see a few pike or ever TIGERS (not of the trout type) (so they are "easy" to control - the way the DWR likes it in Utah).

I am asking this question in all honesty - not to be sarcastic at all - what is the draw to kokes? I have caught many of them at the Gorge and quite a few at Strawberry...they are good eating...but that is the only reason I can see someone targeting these fish - since they do not get very big and do not fight amazing. I sincerely am interested in this take on Kokes - PM me if you would like to let me know further.

By the way - after a strong baitfish population was established think of what that would do to the Browns, Macks, Rainbows - and maybe a few planted Pike or TIGERS! Smile GOOD TIMES and TIGHT LINES with BIGGER FISH!!
"they are good eating...but that is the only reason I can see someone targeting these fish - since they do not get very big and do not fight amazing."
[#0000ff]Are you serious? You must not have caught kokes before if you say they have no fight. ALL OF THE KOKES I HAVE CAUGHT have fought like hell. You don't get many fish that hit your bait or lure and shoot out of the water instantly. Some of the kokes we caught at Buckboard spun 100's of feet of line from our reels and reached close to 6.25#! You probably caught something else like pup macks or chubs.[Wink][/#0000ff]
[signature]