Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard non-floatilla report 8/22/08
[cool][#0000ff]Well, in spite of yesterday's big blow, and more wind in the morning today, Lingwall and I launched and fished...just about alone. Hey Majja, wasn't this YOUR idea?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I picked Lingwall up at 5:10. We got to the north marina at 5:10 and launched at 5:10. Wait a minute. The battery on my watch died. The battery on the walkie talkie I provided Shawn also died. Not good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Although the water was fairly smooth just before we got out into the lake, it began to blow from the NW with some degree of fierceness as soon as we wanted to start fishing. Water temp at launch was 74 and the wind dropped it a degree to 73. Just like the recent reports said, the water was MURKY. After a half hour of steady wind, it looked like whipped cocoa.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Dragged a minnow on one rod while throwing a variety of cranks and plastics. Nothing on nothing. Finally whacked a couple of cookie cutter kitties and put them in the basket. Promised Lingwall a fish dinner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After fighting the wind out into deeper water, another BFTer...Wes, from Nevada...came flailing by in his pontoon, dragging a fly line. Hope you found something Bro. Didn't notice him come in before we did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kept seeing fish on or near the bottom, and nothing was responding to middepth presentations with cranks. So, I picked up the rod I had rigged with tandem small tube jigs. Decorated each jig with a piece of worm and started a slow lift and drop back to the tube after a long cast. Thump, ZING. Game on. A 19" wiper went for the small, low and slow routine. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of cats later, I got another taker on the jig. This one went 20 inches and weighed a solid 4 pounds. Lots of fun on a light rod. It took the same little 1 1/2" red/chartreuse tube jig the other one had munched.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lingwall bravely fought the north sea swells and got into a couple of kitties. No wipers for him, but also no SKUNK. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The warming day changed the air flow currents and the NW wind died down, and then tried its hand from just about every point on the compass. Kept us spinning. But, I got about a dozen kitties...keeping only a few...and I got one more nice wiper on one of my "bling" crankbaits. Ended up with two 19" and one 20" wipers. Not bad on a day when the water was ugly and none of the boaters who went out stayed very long...and those who did reported "Not one bite".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wouldn't ya know it? Water turned to glass at noon as we kicked our way into the channel to go home. A couple of bank tanglers held up a stringer with a few cookie cutter kitties they had caught there. Water temp had risen to 76 by noon. Water levels are dropping.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah. Danged kids...just won't listen. I let Lingwall borrow a pair of pliers and instructed him to be sure to break off the sharp spines on any catfish he kept. I also told him to bring nightcrawlers. He forgot the crawlers so I gave him some. And he didn't break off ALL the spines on the kitties. So, we got to stop at Smith and Eddies on the way hometo get some Aquaseal so he can repair the hole he got in his air bladder.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You never cease to amaze me Pat. Nice job. Going after an old friend tomorrow at the view.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]An old friend with big teeth?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck. No kisses.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yessum, i'll give em' a kiss for you.[:p]
[signature]
Good job Pat, the wind just helped you troll faster.
[signature]
Great report and great pictures--as usual. I was hoping my Boston valves would come yesterday so I could join you today. However, they didn't arrive until about noon today! Wouldn't you know it? Sad week. I didn't get out fishing even one day. I got used to the "2 fishing trips a week" pattern. Oh well, there is always next week.

I also read your post about the Knoll fishing trip Wednesday. I missed out on that experience as well. It would have been great to have fished with you, Kent, and Cathy.

I was glad to hear that you were able to pick up some wipers with some on the smaller tube offerings. When did you make that "crazy colored" crankbait, and what was your inspiration? Whatever it was, it worked!

I listed my 14 foot aluminum boat, 5 hp motor, and trailer for sale today, and before the day was over I had it sold.

Happy fishing!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad your valves made it, even if it messed up your fishing week.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Next week's schedule:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Monday...Jordanelle[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wednesday...Starvation[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Friday...TBA[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know what your open dates are.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That "crazy colored" crankbait was inspired by the colors on one of the better producing Rattlin Raps. Of course I added a splash of my own colors and a bit more flash (prism tape and glitter). I have them in the medium diver and in RatlTrap models. I have taken several wipers on them now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice goin' on the boat sale. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
That wind was fierce for awhile and I made it to the north dike and fished it all the way to the northwest corner where I picked up a couple walleyes, 14 and 16 inchers which I let go.Got them on a flashy looking streamer I tied up last night.
Floated back to the marina and got out at 3:30 and went over to the canal at the south marina where I picked up a couple small wipers.
Can't say as I think much of Willard but fishing is fishing...Walt
[signature]
live and learn i know now and where the spines are with a hole in my tube. i was hoping to hook a wiper but some kitties are fine with me. thank tubdude for the jigs and everything else that was provided just start a tab for me. hope to float with you again soon.
[signature]
Yea I know. I completely forgot about the flotilla. When I saw the wind I figured no one would be going out. Glad you did ok.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nothing personal, but I have just about decided that I ain't gonna plan no more floatillas. I always end up fishing a place at a time I probably would not go otherwise, and the weather usually is not ideal. But, when I feel obligated to show up, for "EVERYBODY ELSE", I go anyway and sacrifice a trip I would rather make someplace else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even though I am retired, and have a more flexible fishing schedule, I do have other commitments on my time that do not allow me to go fishing every day. Truth is, I can't handle fishing every day. Getting old. So, I try to plan my trips very carefully to factor in not only the weather but what kind of fishing I want to do, and where I have the best chance of being successful. Then, if a last minute change in the weather forecast doesn't look good, I bag it. I do not like paying for the gas to drive a hundred miles just to watch the wind blow.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would probably have not gone fishing Friday, based upon the fact that the wind blew hard on Thursday and was also forecast for the morning on Friday. Not ideal conditions. And, it was sloppy. I felt lucky to score the fish I did and I had to work hard to get them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lingwall...the purpose of the trip...was ill prepared to fish those conditions. He did not have the right lures, did not bring nightcrawlers, did not have sonar and did not know the lake or the underwater terrain at all. He was blown around in the wind and spent most of his time fishing unproductive water. The walkie talkie I brought for him died and there was no way for me to communicate, to help him. He was pretty much "chuck and chance it" and on his own. Thankfully, the minnows I brought got him into catfish.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]And Walt was a similar story. Unfamiliar with Willard, windblown in his pontoon, fishing with flies in muddy water...very inhospitable conditions. Fortunately the wind died down later and he was able to get some fish. But, early in the morning it was horrible for all of us.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Again, if it was just me...or TubeBabe too...we would have looked at the weather picture and voted to bag it until there was a better potential for a calm and enjoyable fishing experience. But, because SOMEONE had suggested the 22nd, and others had committed to it, I sucked it up and drove to Willard.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I gotta admit, when I started bouncing around on those chocolate wind waves, I was wondering if that was going to be my first skunk trip in several years. I was not fishing with confidence. I was happy to bring in the first little kitty, to get rid of the skunk smell, and was even happier when I went bendo on that first wiper. All in all, I salvaged a decent trip from one that should never have happened.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]NO MORE FLOATILLAS.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i can see where you are coming from tubdude. the main reason for me going was to learn how to read conditions and what to use in different ones and i know i am a little unequipped in some aspects but i make up in the enthusiasm of liking fishing. i appreciate the help and knowledge that was learned. well i guess all i have to say is if you plan on going put the invite out and if people come than nice or just go and catch all the fish and say "you should have been there".

well i had fun getting blown around in the yohoo. for me regardless of catching fish or getting skunked i love getting out and playing with my rod (pun intended). i had fun and want to go out again with tubedude because he is a very generous with his time and knowledge. i hope to fish with him again. thanks tubedude i really do appreciate the help next time i will bring what i am instructed all except the sonar until i can get the money to purchase one.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bro, I hope you don't think I was being critical of you. I was just making a point that the conditions were so bad that it made it tough for any kind of real learning experience. You were really handicapped by having to fight the wind and waves and by us not being able to communicate. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no doubt about your enthusiasm and your willingness and ability to learn. The experience and the "toys" take time to accumulate. Your success will improve as you are able to learn more waters better and as you acqure more tackle and the ability to use it under different conditions. It is the lifetime learning process that makes fishing such a great sport. No matter how long you have been at it there are learning experiences on every trip. I learn something new every time out on the water. The journey is its own reward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course we will fish together again. I have no objections to fishing with other folks, just planning a big event that we are obligated to go to just because we planned it. With your new work schedule (thanks to the Governor), and Fridays off, we should be able to plan some more trips...weather permitting of course.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[:/] that bites i'm traying to work out getting off on Wend to see if i can leachon for your ST trip.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We changed it to Thursday. Cold front coming through Tuesday into Wednesday. Thursday should be better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if you need info.[/#0000ff]
[signature]