Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake River Talapia
Heading to Glenns Ferry for a two week camp at the TIC state park. Just 60 miles from home in Boise but getting out of town during wedding preparations for daughter.
Reading with interest about the Talapia showing up in the Snake around Swan Falls. I plan to spend a couple of days focusing on Talapia or Bass along sections of the Snake. Any suggestions on drive to sections easily accessible and/or gear? I believe they prefer bass like habitat with slower water and backwater? I'm planning to use typical bass crankbaits and spinning baits such as shysters, rapalas, daisy maes, etc. Usually get something with these. Input would be appreciated.[Image: confused.gif]
[signature]
TILAPIA! COOL!
I grew up in Glenns Ferry. In fact my house was the one right on the edge by the Water Tower. The house at the bottom of the hill use to be a swimming pool where I spent many of the summer days.
I was there about 3 years ago. Floated the river in my Pontoon. I wanted to target Sturgeon for the thrill but only a couple of trout.

GREAT VINEYARD there! Awwwww home sweet home!
[signature]
FG: Thought I replied to this yesterday so this may be repetitive. I really like Glenns Ferry. Great town; nice people with a neat museum, excellent state park and a good restaurant on the main drag. Haven't hit the winery but plan to this time. I have a friend out on the rim overlooking the river. I've looked for a weekend place in G.F. for a couple of years now. Would live in such a small town if it were my decision alone...
I'm going to fish from there on down to the Swan Falls area. Hopefully find a Talapia or at least a few bass. I'll have my boat at Strike for a few of the days for Crappie jigging and hopefully trout on the troll. Grandson and I will do some Geology classes along the Bruneau and down into Nevada along 51. I'll be quick to report if I find Talapia.
[signature]
Me TOO. I thought they were Salt Water, but I guess they wouldn't be the first fish to switch[laugh]
Don't much care to eat them though. They are VERY high in FAT for you concerned with Cholestrol.[Wink]

I will be spending a WEEK in the other direction (West Yellowstone corner).
[signature]
This is a Utah Talapia. And it was great eating.[Smile]
Leaky and the Sparkinator

[inline "guess 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Well, there is another reason I don't eat them...YUCH![angelic]
[signature]

I doubt if Talapia could survive an Idaho Winter. They have been illegally introduced in Florida, but they do not go too far North because of water temp. They are great fighters and I have caught them on both bait and flies. In Florida they are crowding out the native bass because they are very tough and aggresive.

And yes they do taste great. I eat Talapia often although it comes from a fish farm in China.[crazy]

Windriver
[signature]
Here's something that might be of interest.
http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/new/Farms.htm
There are a lot of tilapia farms in the U.S.
It's a fresh water fish too. More are sold in grocery stores in the U.S. as far as fish go than any other. Maybe they can survive it Id. Boise area could be ideal for them.
[signature]
After talking to a co-worker of mine, there is a tilapia farm near Givens Hot Springs along the Snake River in SW Idaho. The warm water that flows in that aquifer might be ideal for raising tilapia and other fish that need warmer water to survive. There's an abundance of warm water in that area evidently since a bunch of the homes are heated in the winter with the warm water and cooled with an exchanger in the summer. Not bad for geo-thermal use.
[signature]
I have been to that exact tilapa farm and it is awesome.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I was there about 3 years ago. Floated the river in my Pontoon. I wanted to target Sturgeon for the thrill but only a couple of trout. quote]

If you happen to hook a sturgeon over about 6 feet long from your tube I would sure like to watch that battle.[cool]
[signature]
Me too! But I did see a guy in Canada land a 6' from a donut!
[signature]