Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UGLY, UGLY Rumor
I know I've already been booted from here once, but please hear me out.

Rumor has it that the reason that the archery deer tags along with all of the remaining rifle tags were taken so early is that PETA purchased them. This is really just a rumor, but any feedback on this would be welcome. The last thing I want to see is my hunting rights and fishing rights purchased by that group. If we can find some information on this one way or another it will greatly ease my mind.

Thanks

Joe
[signature]
Neat, less hunters in the actual field and the DWR had a sell out year? Whats wrong with that? Not that I like that group or support them, but exactly how is this necessarily a bad thing? Honestly, unless they start "pursuing" the game they obtained a license for I do not see a problem with it.
[signature]
The issue is not in regards to hunting, but the power to take away someone's opportunity to hunt. For example, i wasn't able to get a tag this year and so I'm left being the "scout" for my group. If there truly is validity to this rumor then someone has intentionally taken away my opportunity to hunt. If it's a situation where the tag i would have purchased is being used by someone to hunt, i have no problem with that. I should have put in for the draw, but if someone purchased that tag with the intent to take away my and others opportunity to hunt, that truly is criminal and should be treated as such.

I really think that if they truly pulled that off, there should be some criminal prosecutions.
[signature]
That is an outrageous accusation! Why the hell would they spend that much money to keep a few hunters from hunting an animal that only gets a max of 35% success on a banner year? I know they are idiots but give me a break. Do you have any REAL proof of them doing this or are you getting rumor mill crap like on the spider bull? I call BS. They are spending their money trying to shut down hunts all-together. They wouldn't waste it on something like that. Show me some proof, then i will raise hell.[mad]
[signature]
I doubt that they did but if they ever did even better. Every $ spent on a tag goes to help the state and away from a stupid lawsuit over nothing which takes money away.

They would need a awful lot of people to buy that many tags as you are only allowed one.

Yes you should have put in for the draw. Over the counter tags will soon be a thing of the past.
[signature]
[quote ifishutah]

Rumor has it that the reason that the archery deer tags along with all of the remaining rifle tags were taken so early is that PETA purchased them. This is really just a rumor,

I think he summed it all up there. Joe said that he heard it was just a rumor. could they buy licences and then go out and go out in the hills and make your hunt a living Hell? Make noise, do whatever they could to scare your game away. Don't underestimate these peoples thought process. They are extremists that truely beleive in their cause.

IT will be interesting to see if anything else comes from it. i would not turn my back on someone in the hills this fall that looks out of place. [:/]

Looking forward to seeing what else comes from this. I HOPE that it is all BS!
[signature]
Not to be a wise butt, but I see plenty of people in the Utah Forests every fall that look out of place. Always makes me a little nervous especially since my best friend was killed by an out of state hunter in 93 on the North slope during a muzzle loader hunt at a distance of 21 feet. [mad]
[signature]
Amen to there being some wack jobs in the forest. Sorry to hear about your friend. I remember hearing about that
[signature]
Tell me about it. Danny was a good friend of mine
and we were MZ elk hunting together when he was shot.
There's not a day goes by while I'm in the mountains hunting that I don't think of that terrible trip.
I hope the A$$ Hole that pulled the trigger has nightmares the rest of his life and God punishes him because the state of Utah sure as hell didn't.
[signature]
PETA is just a loose knit organization at best. The Standard Examiner ran a column sometime in the last couple of weeks about a mink farm attack that released hundreds of mink and damaged the farm somewhere here along the wasatch front. The ironic thing is that most were recaptured, and a big percentage of those recaptured had to be euthanized due to dehydration or other causes.

I highly doubt that PETA has the number of people or resources necessary to buy that number of licenses. I heard the rumor that the licenses were selling out fast so I checked the division's website and saw they were almost gone. I got mine that day.

Sorry you didn't get your license. I will be surprised if any archery permits are left after next years drawing and I bet very few northern permits will be left as well. Nearly gone are the days of purchasing deer permits over the counter.
[signature]
I would bet that Peta is a little more organized than we would all like to think. However I dont think they did what was mentioned above.

However I think that a big part of the license buy ups were more than likely the change that allows 12 and 13 yr olds to hunt big game this year. I feel that has a lot to do with it.

JUst my opinion
[signature]
Thanks for the responses. Like i mentioned just wanted to see if anyone had any info. In my initial post I said that i think it's a rumor and I'm simply looking to disprove or prove it. I'm really not sure why Lunkerhunter attacked me, but whatever.

Shoot em straight.
[signature]
That's terrible!
There are definitley wackos out there that will shoot at anything. I could tell you 100 stories about idiots killing cows, horses, axis deer in a fenced field, and themselves or friends. Pretty Sad [:/]

Other than the wackos out there, my biggest worry are all the wacko's kids. How about that 12 year old that shot the old lady this year (Supposedly she looked like a bear [crazy]). Lowering the hunting age is the worst thing the DWR could have done. I think you should be at least 14 to hunt small game and 16 to hunt big game. last year there were at least three cases where a kid shot an elk thinking it was a deer and so on. I'm scared to go rifle hunting anymore, almost got shot a few times a few years ago. It's getting to be a dangerous sport![pirate]
[signature]
I don't think he meant to attack you, he was just pissed about the rumor.
[signature]
That kid that shot the woman happened here in Washington. It's very tragic. But is has nothing to do with having a younger age allowed to hunt. I think that was a good move. Different people are ready to hunt at different ages.

The real issue is that his Grandpa allowed him to go out without adult supervision. He should never have been out hunting without a responsible adult with him to help guide him. There's no way he would've shot that woman if he'd been properly supervised.

True, the kid is a moron for not being able to tell the difference between a woman in plain clothes and a bear (or did he just shoot at some moving bushes?), but the law to allow kids that young to hunt is fine, it's just wrong for them to go without an adult (which is against the law already).
[signature]
Paul will give you the story.
[signature]
I disagree.

Giving kids a rifle that can shoot over a mile is wrong IMO. Not only is it more dangerous, but I also question a 12 year old's ability to make an ethical decision. Shooting does during the buck hunt, shooting a bigger bull on a spike hunt, etc. I'm not saying that ALL 12 year olds fall into the category, but I just have a really hard time with a 5th or 6th grader packing around a 30-06.
[signature]
I also think 12 is too young everyone remembers being that age and the priviledge you had to start bird hunting but alot of kids that were my age were just turned loose to learn on there own which is wrong you need that adult influence (if its a good one) to show kids what is the right way. I have always appreciated the fact that my dad was with me on the first of everything I shot from doves to elk and it is the things I learned before I was even able to carry a weapon that stick with me today.
[signature]
When I got married my wife wanted to go hunting and so she took Hunter Ed. My two little brothers needed theirs so they took it together. Most of the class was already 12 with my wife the only adult in the class. Having to take everyone I sat in on the class each week. One in three admitted they couldn't read and had to have the test read to them. I helped the teacher out and did the reading to them in another room. By the end of the night I had almost half the class in there. Half the class! Most of them couldn't hold up the 22's to pass the shooting part of the class either.

Parents with them or not they are not ready at 12.

This is not aimed at you cat_man but the idea of kids hunting big game at 12.
[signature]
No worries, no offense taken by either of you.

I still disagree though. The whole point is, I agree, you can't count on a 12 year old to make an ethical decision. That is why we have the requirement for them to be accompanied by a responsible adult that can help guide them and show them how to make that decision.

The adult should be at their side (I believe the law states within site and hearing range so they can give instruction, but I think it should be at their side). I started hunting small game when I was 12 with a single shot 20 gauge shotgun, with my dad at my side. I started deer hunting at 14 with a 30'06, again with my dad at my side.

I'm a small guy, and I was ok holding the guns at those ages. If a kid is physically able to fire a 30'06 at twelve (few are, I imagine), then they should be able to hunt, again with an adult at their side.

The problem with the boy who shot the lady was that he was unsupervised. That is where the stupidity and danger came into play.

Some kids are not ready at 12. Some are not ready at 16, but some are at 10. That's why it's better to leave it up to the parents, accompanying them, and making sure they pass a hunter safety course. Those parents who are irresponsible themselves (what? there are irresponsible adults out there?) will give their kid a gun and tell them to have at it regardless of the law. But responsible parents with able kids should not be restricted because of that.
[signature]