Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 8/30/08
Wiperhunter2 and I decided that it was time that we fished together (last trip was a few years ago). Curt had a project for the afternoon so we didn't travel far. Launched from the north marina around 7:15 AM and headed to the north dike. Let our lines out and Curt almost immediately had a fish on. It put up a great fight and was a nice fat wiper. He let it go and we went back to fishing. It wasn't long before my drag was screaming. Grabbed the rod but the fish was long gone. We made a swing around that same area and trolled the entire west dike and part of the south dike without another hit. We sped over near the island and soaked some minnows and crawlers for awhile. We caught a couple catfish and missed several more bites. Headed south of the north marina and trolled again for awhile with no luck. The water was quite muddy and I imagine that didn't help. Weather was beautiful, and it was enjoyable to get out again with Curt.

[inline "Curt Wiper.jpg"]
[signature]
I enjoyed getting out there with you Kent too bad the fish did not want to play[unimpressed]. I really loved your Strawberry story[Wink]. Good luck later this week, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures of your next big sturgeon.
[signature]
I was there with timberhall at 7am at the north end.
We were in the canoe and caught 1 wiper--21" and 1 cat.
We had a great time and left at 12:30 pm. I wish we could have seen you guys... we probably trolled right by you

cc
[signature]
If you launched around 7am we might have seen you, I talked to two guys in a canoe that launched about that time. I told them to be careful and watch out for the Power squadron. It seemed like it never got too bad for a holiday weekend and I was glad to see that but the catching was slow also. WH2
[signature]
Yes that was us, and thanks for the tips you gave us....Too bad we didn't know who you were...Sorry about that..

cc
[signature]
I always wonder if folks I'm talking to are members, I guess I should ask more often. I did have stickers on my boat but they don't always stand out because of their size. WH2
[signature]
[#6000bf]"I always wonder if folks I'm talking to are members, I guess I should ask more often."
[/#6000bf]

A while ago I decided to ask folks I am talking with "Are you familiar with BFT?". Most are not but occasionally a few are.

That sure is a nice pic of you and your wiper Curt.

Good to see Kent up here fishing in the north country. Thanks for the report guys. I hope to get out there for a couple hours soon myself ... maybe tomorrow.
[signature]
Just got back from Willard a few minutes ago. Fished the south marina again off the bank with jigs at the mouth of the canal. Got 3 wipers and a potful of crappie, turned them all loose. Wipers were 20-21 inchers....Walt
[signature]
Is anybody trolling deep at Willard ??? HA HA !!!!!!!
[signature]
Thanks Ralph, I wish I had been able to get a picture of the big one I caught the other day but Kent does take a good picture. Good luck if you make it out there, sounds like the channel is the place to fish, probably because the water is clearer there.
[signature]