Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just talked to MinnKota
Hello everyone,
I just joined the rubber fleet. I picked up a bass guide by Water Skeeter and took it for a little float and was amazed by the bouncy, stability even when standing and fly casting, and propulsion the oars give it. There is a but, there is always a but. I decided to revive my old endura 30 and searched the net seeing what others were using for battery power with no real result being listed. So I picked up the phone and gave Minnkota a ring and they suggested a 105ah deep cycle which should give you about 3 hours at full throttle. With power consumption not being linear one could have quite a decent reserve running at lower settings. Also just in case anyone has wondered at full power the motor draws 30amps. I will keep you posted on progress and would like to hear how anyone elses power systems are doing.
[signature]
Found out some interesting things. First the rating on the battery has more to do with reserve cap vs amp hour. So the 105 would be the reserve cap vs amp hour because that would be a heavy bat to place on the back of a toon. Also I went to Sams club and saw that optima was having a sale 25 bones off the 155 price tag with mail in rebate. After reading the label it was a 55ah with 120 rc at 20/c. Not too bad I am thinking. Then I went to Bass Pro Shop and found an AGM very similar to the optima. The have the same specs although there reserve cap is rated at 25/c. Price would come out a little cheaper because I could use my reward points. I might just get the BPS batt due to the testing at higher discharge rate for same time period. Well your opinions are welcome.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard and thanks for posting the results of your research. Hope you are able to make the right decision.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have a few 'tooners on the board who use electrics, and I am sure you will get some input. I am still (and will always be) a self propelled float tuber, so I have not had to conduct the battery/power/longevity/output research thing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since most anglers have different fishing styles and requirements, each will likely get different results from the same battery/motor combination. Going full out from point to point will suck up the juice faster than slow trolling the same distance. Sounds like you have a handle on the options and variables. You just need to decide what you really need and then look for the best buy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use to use the Minn Kota 30, did for several years, but it finally died.
This year I up graded to the Maxxum 40. I have an 11 1/2' and a 9' pontoon and this motor is awesome. More a reo-stat. You can gradually turn it and it will slowly speed up. Marked in 25/50 etc. but you can make the prop barely turn to just hold you in one spot. On full, I would be flying, but must admit, I haven't tried.
A full charged deep cycle will last me two days of moderate speed. I use the motor to hold me or a slow drift, but I do use my oars to get to where I am going.
I do see people all the time using a TOTAL motor, no flippers, and I guess that works for them, but time will be limited.
When I go out I do have motor, oars and flippers. I turn the head of the motor so it is facing the same direction as the prop. I mount it on the back as it is easier to pull than push. I use my flippers to steer, but you can use oars to steer if standing.
I prefer a motor for the waters I fish, leaves me hands on fishing, no matter what:

[Image: Roughwater.jpg]
[signature]
>>>A full charged deep cycle will last me two days of moderate speed. I use the motor to hold me or a slow drift, but I do use my oars to get to where I am going.<<<

Hi FG
Which capacity deep cycle are you using there?
Norm
[signature]
It is a NAPA Stowaway. The bigger battery. Going on two years old.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info. This board is really a good resource. I went with the bps battery. Actually rowing is fairly easy once you get over the co ordination needed with the two oars. It seems faster that a tube no offense anyone. I will say if your in a narrow canal it is a lot easier to get around in a tube or with power. I will keep you all posted on real time results.

Cheers.
[signature]