Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Tackle List
As some of you know, I am going to spend a week or two at the Gorge this July and need to get some trout lures. Help me make a list of lures I'll need to go after the Lake Trout, Bows, Smallies, and Kokes in the lake.

I've already done the hard part like buying and installing a downrigger on my boat. I have lots of crankbaits and other walleye lures like jigs and plastics and such.

What else should I get?

Thanks
[signature]
[size 2]Hey Eric,[/size]

[size 2]For rainbows and kokanee, I use neon colored (red, orange, green, yellow) spoons, like Carter's Spoons (can you get those at the Sportsman's Warehouse in CO?) and Krocodiles. For kokes, I remove the treble hook and put on a colored walleye hook in fluo orange/red/green, etc. Also, pearl colors work well.[/size]

[size 2]For macs, you can jig or troll. For jigging, search back on this site a month or so and look for a post with a picture of a big rabbit hair jig. Or use large tubes sweetened with sucker meat. Or slow troll a flatfish/Rapala ticking bottom. Or slow troll large pop gear just off bottom with a frozen redside minnow (my go-to method).[/size]

[size 2]For SMB, toss plastics to rocky structure.[/size]
We fish the Gorge every year for Kokes and the lure we use that we do the best with is a wedding ring, in the color of green but red and green work well also. The small stuff and colors like Dennis is talking about also work well. We look for the kokes at a depth of 30 to 40 ft. There are a few of the guys that can give you more info on the Mack's and rainbows but Dennis catches a lot of big fish so I would listen to what he has to say. Good luck and I hope you get some big ones. WH2
[signature]