Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to Red Lake (CA)
Red Lake, (it's actually quite green with some sort of bloom), new water. Dragged ass out of bed at 3:30 and red-eyed out 2 hours to the lake before light. Rigged the pontoon as the sky started to light up.

So it's been at least 20 years since I've caught any Brookies, and I may have imagined that, so it was nice to hook into some today. Caught three, one small, two quite nice (14" -16") and lost one really nice one (18+") either Brookie or Cutt (REALLY would have liked to get that - for sure never bagged one of those). One thing I thought was odd was the subdued coloration on these fish. Would've though that spawning colors would be bloomin' by now.

Assorted pics below: (No, I don't transport the 'toon like that, but with the right rack... Wink )

[Image: P1040865-1.jpg]
[Image: P1040864-1.jpg]
[Image: P1040869-1.jpg]
[Image: P1040873-1.jpg]
[Image: P1040871-1.jpg]
[Image: P1040879-1.jpg]

_SHig
[signature]
Wow nice looking area! No boater only tubers? (I wuld love that!)[Smile]
[signature]
No gas motors, but trollers are allowed. No ramp though, so only lightweight stuff...

There is another local zero-motor lake I love to hit as well...

I'll definitely be going back to this one though.

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice. Even included a daybreak picture. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as the brookie coloring goes, every water seems to be different. In some streams and lakes they color up earlier than others. If it is a lower altitude lake, with warmer temps, it might be a couple or three weeks before the spawn conditions appear. I have seen some lakes where the spawning colors waited until mid October.[/#0000ff]
[signature]