Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rats - there is a hole in the bladder
A rat chewed a hole the size of a 50 cent piece in the bladder of my nephews float tube. Any one have any experience with patching such a large hole?
[signature]
Basically thoroughly clean the area around the hole and use a patch. Ideally put the bladder on a flat table and put a "backing patch" inside the bladder (since it'd suck to glue the front of the bladder to the back!), then patch the bladder from the outside.

Follow the preparation instructions on the goop and patch you use. Aquaseal works well, but certain cements and patch materials may work better on urethane vs. vinyl. Use the same material for your patch as the bladder is made out of.

Good luck!

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Pinholes and small cuts are easier to fix. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a special repair tape that is sold by several of the tube outlets. It comes in a small square and is very pricey, but that should be the best way to cover the hole with something that will hold. The good news is that if you get a good seal, the pressure will help hold it in place when you air it up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All my tube/toons are Urethane. Few years ago, AIRE had a tape (looks like a small roll of packing tape) that was stretchable, thick, and very sticky.
I bought several rolls at the time.
It is a foggy clear just like the bladder. You put it on and rub it with a smooth surface like the edge of a nickel. It welds to the urethane. Nothing better!
I have however, only used it once when the hubby caught the bladder in the zipper of the outer cover. That was a fair size hole also, but the boat has long since been on the water with no effects. Good thing about this tape is you didn't have to deflate to use it, but the tube had to be dry and wipe it with an alcohol patch.

I carry a roll on every trip just in case.
[signature]