Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
south Fork
I floated the South Fork from Conant to Byington this past Saturday. What a great day. 75 and sunny, not too much wind. Saw a couple of moose and lots of Eagles. Oh yeah and caught lots of fish. I was spin fishing with #7 brown Rapala. With the river being lower there were plenty of new gravel bars showing. I found one just before the lookout that hadn't been there 2 weeks before. About a 100' long gravel bar with fast moving water over into a deep hole all along. Casting alongside droppoff i caught 3 Cutts over 20" in a matter of minutes. Beautiful fish. Put them back of course so as to catch them again another day. Forgot my camera. DOH!!! Idaho is such a great place.
[signature]
Thats awsome I might have to go and cast some flies now that they have lowered it. I will be intrested to see how it fishes. Congrats on your catches. Those are some really nice cuts.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I wish I could get out on the South Fork. My busy time of year is starting so I do not know how much I am going to get out in the next couple of weeks.

Windriver
[signature]
My busy time as well, being a concrete guy, but I had to make some relaxation time. Not as many boats out as earlier this summer. A nice end of summer float sure revitalizes a guy. Time to get back to work now.
[signature]
just curious Mudman1 how is work? I am a concrete guy as well and it has been super slow and we have done more tear out and replacce then we ever have. Fishing on the other hand has been pretty good.
[signature]
work has been pretty good still. Luckily I had a bunch of flat work lined up from foundations we did this past fall and winter. Have about 3 more weeks of work then I'm not sure. I have no foundations lined up for winter. Going to be a long cold winter. But yes the fishing has been great this year. The old good benefit for us creters from a long wet winter.
[signature]
floated the South Fork again from Conant to Byington today. I thought last Saturday was good, but today was even better. The 2 of us caught at least 25 fish between us and they were all good sized. The browns were very aggressive. Caught a couple nice fat rainbows as well as many cutts. Fall is gonna be awesome.
[signature]
Thats a fat bow. Nice catch. SO are you fly fishing or spin fishing? Or I guess Rapala fishing? Just wondeing. I have been fishing some creeks he last few ddays but I am going to the south Fork here in the next few days.
[signature]
I spin/rapala fish as I don't fly fish well and always catch fish spinning. I also always release fish so as to catch 'em again another day. What creeks have you been fishing?
[signature]
I am the same way with catch and release. Its the only way unless I am fishing Salmon in Alaska. The creeks that I have fished that produced fish all day long were Bear Creek, and Big Elk Creek. I also fished the south fork of the Teton River which has some mean cutbows. They really mean business. At every place they were hitting hoppers. A variety of different ones. I threw a black chernobl out very first and that caught fish, then I threw what ever else I had and that caught. 3 pretty good streams that made for 3 days of excelent fishing
[signature]
I also seldom keep trout. Salmon or some ocean species I do keep frequently. I thought they didn't want people to release rainbows on the South Fork. Is it a regulation or just a suggestion? I'm sure I have the Regs somewhere in my car but am too lazy to go find them. I've never fished the South Fork and was wondering if people find they can fish it from a kayak?
[signature]
Fish and Game encourages keeping the rainbows on the South Fork. They cross breed with the Cutthroats, and degrade the Cutthroat fishery. No regulation that you have to keep them. Just encouraged.
[signature]
Hey Big Lew,

I haven't fished or hunted with you for years. Glad to see that you are getting out quite often.

Kim
[signature]
That you Kim? Good to hear from you. Thought you'd left the country. Lots of water gone under the Heise bridge. Have you graduated to steelhead? Do you still chase geese? I've slowed a bit since then, and don't do waterfowl anymore, but I love getting out in the 'toon', and chasing the trout and bass. Should be some good stuff coming up soon. Give me a holler, and we'll drag Ritchie out of his rocker, and go stir some water. Lew
[signature]