Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slip/sliding bobber?
How do I use sliding bobber? I have the round ball kind, not the long ones.

And what's it's advantage over non sliding ones?
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there captmicha - is this the type of bobber that you have? If so then while you can adjust the lenght between the hook & the bobber it is not a sliding bobber in the true sense.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline Bobber.jpg]
[signature]
No, it's an actual sliding one. I can't find a pic of the exact thing and I'm too lazy to take a pic and upload it.

It's round like the one you posted a pic of but it's just a round ball, with a tunnel through the middle that your line goes through.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Okay, now I know which type that you are talking about. The way that I have use this float is to place a small wedge into the bottom of the hole against the line. When a fish hits your bait it pulls against the line removing the wedge. They you have direct line contact with your fish. Now that is how I use to do the setup, perhaps others might have a different approach.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
If I want to have my bait five or six feet below the bobber I do not want to try and cast with that much line hanging from the tip of my pole.
I use a slip bobber like this:
First you tie a "stop knot" on your line where you want the bobber to stop.
Then slip on a plastic bead.
Then thread your slip bobber on.
Tie on a snap swivel.
Attach leader to snap swivel.
Pinch on an appropriate amount of split shot just above the swivel.
When you cast you only have the length of the swivel and leader hangingfrom the tip and you can cast with greater ease.

I have attached a drawing from the Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to help you visualize it.

It has been a very effective setup for me. You can sometimes adjust the depth of the bobber stop by sliding it up or down, but it will get loose and not stay in place if you move it too much. The "stop knot" is sold in tackle stores and real cheap so you can put on new ones when needed.
[signature]