Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This yrs elk hunt...
[font "Consolas"]Sorry for the quality of the pictures I am mad as I didn't have the stabilizer thingy up! So they are a bit fuzzy.[/font]
[font "Consolas"] [/font]
[font "Consolas"]Well I took the week of the 15th-19th off and expected to get a bunch of hunting in.. (this after my wife had her appendix out on the 5th which took care of some planned hunts at first! Anyway, Monday morning we head out and we walk, and walk, and walk.. did I mention walk.. and the sheep had been all over the place and let's just say the elk had left the country, so we decided to get out of dodge and find where the sheep arnt.. (did I mention I don't like sheep) So about 2:00pm and 20 miles later (or it felt like it at least) we went to take a nap by a wallow, as we were sleeping we both woke up and was like hum that's weird..[/font]
[font "Consolas"]when we hear an elk bugle.. we were soooo dang tired we walked up the trail about 10 min to another wallow and yup we feel asleep for 1 more hr. LOL..[/font]
[font "Consolas"]when we woke up sure enough the 2 elk were talking to each other but much closer now! Smile So this time we get ready and we have one coming in behind us a bit.. so I am the sexy cow for my friend as I am up the trail 20 yards from him. When from up in front of me a 3rd bull comes flying in to the Wallow and splashing around about 50 yards from me. My buddy sees this and he turns into the caller, the elk gets done splashing around and my buddy calls once and ole bull lets out a bugle and comes a runnnnin towards me! So I draw, and he comes, stops, broad side 12 yards away! Man them things are big that close. Anyway, I let r fly, and see it's a great hit. Well my friend thinks the bull busted him (cuz he didn't hear me shoot) he calls a bunch and the elk goes about 10 yards and stops. He didn't feel to good so he laid down. I just sat there and watched. He tried to get up 2 times but went back down..[/font]
[font "Consolas"]Well after what felt like 2 hours (probably 10 min) I had a great shot and with the other elk coming in I didn't want him to try and go with them without another arrow in him! So I drill him again. He JUMPS up and goes around a tree and then gives the ole death moan!! He ended up going 20 yards from where the first arrow hit him. Got both lungs and heart with 2 arrows. I guess that will work. Anyway, he scored 312 but had about 6 points of deductions so Score = 306 We kept hunting that night because the elk were still all around us! My Friend almost had a shot at a 6 x 7 but you know how that goes! I think his 3rds are cool as they go out pretty cool and the others even though you can't tell from the pictures are very symmetrical. Anyway, we continue to hunt for a few more days and had some realllly close calls with some good bulls. The elk were sure one day all over/talking.. the next tougher to find.. then good etc..[/font]
[signature]
Sounds and looks like a great time.[Wink]
[signature]
Hey congrats! That's a great elk, and sounded like an exciting hunt
[signature]