Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobbins
as we all know there are a lot of choices on bobbins on the market.. assuming that a bobbin with a ceramic tube is the best to use .. what, in your opinion, is the best bobbin on the market and why do you consider it to be the best.. ?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Can't truthfully answer that question as I haven't seen or used all the bobbins out there. That being said I like my [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Dr. Slick ceramic bobbins. I also have Dave Norlanders auto retrieve bobbins. They are rather neat like when you stretch out the thread to hang it out of the way while performing another task then the thread can be retrieved to a comfortable working length.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
how is it auto retrieved and where did you find those (just curious)..

one of the main reasons I asked the question is because of tension on the thread that could (and has for me) caused breakage.. I have seen at least one brand that allows the tier to adjust the tension..

I am very curious to hear what our other tying compadres have to say.. :-)..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Norm Norlander is the designer and they are sold in most fly shops and on-line. It works on a spring clutch. Tension can be added by looping the thread once or twice around one of the posts.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline Bobbin_Kit.jpg]
[signature]
hai carumba.. lol.. I forgot about the nor-vise.. I still think that is an awesome looking tool.. hehe almost like the singer sewing machine of the fly tying world.. :-)

thanks for the lead on those bobbins..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I still use the bobbins with the stainless tubing with the flaired ends. For some reason the ceramic just doesn't tickle my fancy especially when I have to do some delicate wrapping with .05 or .10 lead wire under wraps.

Some of the other threads I use also are inhibited by the ceramic. I do have one ceramic bobbin left that doesn't have a groove worn in it. I keep that for using on an irridescent silk thread.[cool]
[signature]
I bet, with the size of thread you use, ceramic is over kill.
I do have one ceramic, but most of mine are teflon coated. I have one flared at the end but it is problematic when tying smaller flies. I have to have the straight tube.
[signature]
There is not a whole lot of difference with the threads that I use. Thanks to Jo Anns and Michaels, there is a lot of selection of quality threads that can hold up to the saltwater.

Pure cotton tends to break down quicker as opposed to a poly or poly blend. I sometimes use Dacron which is very good up to about a 300 ft depth for some of the flies.

Believe it or not, depth and pressure have a great effect on certain threads. Anything thrown from my flyswatter is generally 70 feet or less in depth. Otherwise I tie dropper loops and fish with a conventional reel in the deeper waters.[cool]
[signature]