Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yellowstone lake lakers
Has anyone out there had any experience fishing for lake trout on yellowstone lake. I'm heading up there and to henrys next week for some fishing and hunting time. The info I've found so far it looks like the thumb is the place just out from shore in the deeper shelves.

Any one have on the water experience up there they could share? THANKS
[signature]
First of all welcome to the forum. I do not have any experience fishing for lakers at yellowstone lake. I caught a few cutthroat earlier in the year for Yellowstone lake. From the maps I have seen the greatest concentration of them does seem to be West Thumb.

I heard you can use a down rigger for the lake trout even though they have a no lead rule. I would check into that I do not know for sure.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome, They do allow lead core line and lead downriggers in Yellowstone Lake. The reports on lake trout removal on the lake show a very high catch rate for anglers in 2007 so I'll give it a try and put up a post here later
[signature]
I have alwasys done well off the thumb area around the island- though I have alwys used a fly rod- sinking line,
I have a buddy who does well trolling but he is always on Jackson Lake.
[signature]