Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 pounder at Yuba
Spent four hours at Yuba Saturday. Got one 29-inch pike. Then I hooked up with a monster. I've been wanting to catch a giant northern and I figured this was the one. Only problem was that I was using 12-pound test line and no wire leader.The fish made run after run and I had virtually no control. I finally manuevered the boat over the top of him and worked him to the net after a 20-minute battle.

So I was a little disappointed when it turned out to be a "golden trout" instead of a pike. But it was still a big fish and lots of fun to land.

No walleyes or perch. Carp were everywhere.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, too bad you didn't get a twenty pound pike but it sounds like that carp gave you a good battle. Good to see you got at least one northern but you really have me wondering what is going on with the perch? Were you just trolling or did you try any bait fishing? WH2
[signature]
Maan you gonna mount that thing?[Wink] I cant catch one of them to save my life. Nice pike though I want to go back there and get me a bunch more of them perch for dinner again, and try for one of them pike.[cool]
[signature]
The previous couple of trips I've logged about nine or 10 hours casting traditional crankbaits, spinners, spoons, etc. with only one hook up. Saturday I decided to try to catch some walleye or perch using nightcrawler rigs. That's what the northern hit.
[signature]
Too bad you didn't lose the carp before seeing it. Just think of the stories that you could have told about the one that got away.[Wink]
[signature]
I would give anything to hook a toad (albeit a golden bonefish) like that on my flyrod! 3 or 4 of those could make your arm hurt! Great fish! Good job on the pike as well.
[signature]
well now ya can see why Yuba is going to crash again.. them carp are getting that big from eating all the perch fry in the lake! [crazy].. there's not go to be very meny left for next year... the pike should be in good shap next year tho so there is that to look forword to.. [:/]
[signature]