Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jellyfish Encounters
[:/] It Happens and can be quite serious and painful, even deadly. The jellyfish is actually two separate co-dependent animals, the stingers and the propulsion dome. I mention this FYI because before the two animals find each other and grow to the form we are familiar with, the stingers are very small but nothing to contend with and can easily get onto your gear so not just a see the jellyfish on the beach and stay away advise post. This happens anywhere on the worlds oceans and most I've been out with think they were just stung by a bee.
The tiny individual stingers of the stinger animal are not much unlike that of a bee and detach the animal and stay in the victim, however it's many thousands of tiny stingers and the poison is paralytic and has enzymes that initiate the digestive process.
However small, they can be seen by the gelatinous sheen of the critters and once recognized, avoided.
Learned from a beach lifeguard, regular old meat tenderizer dissolves the stingers instantly, rinse well and what may torment you for up to several days,or worse, is almost completely gone in minutes. [Smile]
[signature]
You sure got that one right. Some of the most dangerous Jellyfish are the Box Jellyfish. They can be found at times in Australia and Hawaii.

I have heard that the pain from those is so excruciating and un bearable. The antidote for them hurts even more.[pirate]
[signature]
NOTHING to mess around with !!
[signature]
That's for sure bro. One little Box Jellyfish can put down a few grown men![pirate]
[signature]
Oh I know it, there is some wicked stuff in that pond, and some of the little things are the worst.

I knew that the Crocodile hunter was gonna get it when he started doing his nutty get right up on stuff in the ocean. Ya just do not mess with that stuff, Hey, you wanna get together and go feed sharks ?? [laugh]
[signature]
Years back when vacationing at the Jersey shore there was one year where the jelly fish were everywhere. Some were small and clear but some were the size of a pizza pan and most of their body was a dark red and some people were stung by them. Do not know what type of jelly fish they were but we did not do a lot of swimming that year.
[signature]
I got stung by a big purple jelly fish when I was a kid. I was sitting down in the water and getting hit by waves and next thing I knew I felt something scrape against my arm. It felt like I got scraped by a rock or something and I look over and I see a big purple jelly fish with spots and i jumped out of the water and ran to my parents. They took me to a lifeguard who radioed for beach patrol and they came and out vinegar on my arm. It swelled up red and I was scared for my life. This was in Daytona Beach, Florida
[signature]
Jelly fish are not joke in any area of the world. Some have more toxins than others. Purple jelly fish happen to have a milder toxin than most but the levels of sensitivity can range in different people.[cool]
[signature]