Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New, Highly Effective Technique
As to the best of my ascertation, Fly Fishing was a technique discovered by the Romans of the Macedonians around 200 BC and must certainly have created quite a stir in the Fishing Forums of the time.

In our ever-changing world many adaptations have manifested as new situations may dictate, and two intrepid young trailblazers have taken the next logical steps necessary to fish successfully obviously evolving local conditions.

The presentation is, as with most university level studies, a bit difficult to grasp at first, however wraps up nicely leaving the viewer a good understanding of a distinctly unique and effective fishing technique :

http://www.fishingpixels.com/toybobbers.html

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
LOL.. love your lead in.. so from rocks to toys.. got it.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there BFS do you know where fly fishing got it's start in the US? I Use to live less than 2 miles from the Neversink River. [fishin]
The Neversink River may not be the most productive trout river, but it is certainly the most historic. Situated roughly 100 miles north of the George Washington Bridge, the Neversink was fished extensively during the early 1900s by historical anglers like Theodore Gordon, inventor of dry flies like the Quill Gordon, and Edward Hewitt, inventor of the Bivisible. While fly fishing began in Scotland and was first practiced in the chalk streams of England, Gordon pioneered dry fly fishing in the United States and Hewitt first explored the concept of fishing with nymphs. Both of these men perfected their craft on the Neversink River of New York State.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
yeah...but did they catch a fish on a plastic chicken mcnugget.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod, I always love reading about the history of stuff. I went to Petersburg, WV to help an old friend build his Appalachian hideaway and all the Civil War stuff that was around was amazing.

Just to stand in the spot and look around at what they saw was eerie, not war but the richness of the history, so I sure understand how neat all that North /East is from historical standpoint and Fly Fishing to boot.

You can read about it all day long but until you see it [Smile].
I guess from reading the entire article I picked up that tidbit from, It's a huge deal for Fly Fisherman to see Macedonia.

BFS
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Not only is that part of the NE rich in fly fishing history but many battles of the revolutionary war were fought in the area.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center]
[signature]
I think what's most amazing to me is standing back and looking at history more generally like the recorded history of man and realizing, in a sense, all that was kinda like yesterday. Sort of how primitive everything seems up to such a fairly recent time.
[signature]
Ironic, Dryrod. The Catskill confluence region used to be my home waters.

Proving once again that there are only 200 people in the world, and pretty soon you meet everybody. [Image: happy.gif]

Just one correction. Gordon, as revered as he is as the "father" of American flyfishing, mostly fished the Beaverkill (for trout) and the Delaware (for smallmouth).

But he was mostly a copycat, slavishly trying to immitate British calk stream techniques, even though our conditions were radically different.

That's why anglers like Hewit, who said to heck with dry flies, and the boys down in PA, with their facination with terrestrials, made, IMO, greater contributions.

Another point I often raise (and boy, does it start fights) is that if the communications center of America had been Knoxville instead of New York, our whole flyfishing history would be different.

While the boys on the Beaverkill stood around waiting for hatches that never materialized, the boys in the Smokies were pioneering effective techniques like tight-line nymphing, and tying patterns---like the now illegal Yellar Hammer--- that met local conditions.

Brook
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Where abouts did you live in the area?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Actually I lived in the City.

But for me, a 90-minute drive ain't nuthin'. So I spent a lot of time on all those streams.

My favorite, actualy, was Roundout Creek: great fishing and no crowding.

Harry & Elsie Darby still had their shop going, in those days (shop, ha. It was their living room). And the Atrium Lodge was still there---Irish Coffee on opening day, hoorah!

The problem with having the Beaverkill as your home water, of course, is that you get into the habit of carrying 500 fly patterns (none of which is persactly what you need); and it's a hard habit to break.

I could, for instance, fish the Smokies with two small boxes all year, and never feel deprived. But for some reason my vest still comes in at about 200 pounds.

Brook
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Okay so you are from the Bluegrass state but now live in NYC. I had lived in Orange County about 12 miles west of Middletown. Pickerel, bass & sunnies were the main catch when I was a youngster.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Nah, I wasn't clear I guess.

I'm from Kentucky now. Was bred and buttered in Brooklyn, grew up there and in Queens.

Been all around, though. Lived in Boston for awhile, Virginia, and spent the longest ten years of my life in northern Illinois.

But, as the sign I keep threatening to erect at the head of the drive says, this is where I'm Dun Roamin

Brook
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Okay - so you have lived all around the east now the parts are falling into place. Likewise I lived in the NE, SE, NW & SW. BTW I went to Bryant HS in Queens.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I'm not sure where Bryant is. Been 30+ years since I lived in New York. And, as I tell folks, I didn't lose anything up there that I need to go look for.

But that's really just the City. I loved it when I lived in the Adirondacks, and if I could move those mountains anywhere I wanted I'd still be living in them.

Hey! They're geologic strangers who moved where they are once before. Why can't I move them again!

But as much as the City was my mistress growing up, I'm just not city-oriented anymore. I mean any city. Been living out in the country too long, I guess.

Kentucky is all but the perfect place for me. Only thing it lacks is an ocean. But then, if Kentucky was edged by the sea there'd be no need to go to heaven, cuz you'd already be there.

Brook
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#800000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Oh I hated the city. I left as soon as I got my walking papers. Loved upstate area. BTW nothing is prettier than fall in the Catskills or similar area.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#800000][size 4][inline catskills-fall-02.jpg][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]